Author Topic: Preparing Hammers for New Hammer Tips  (Read 1358 times)

Offline juniornoodle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Preparing Hammers for New Hammer Tips
« on: May 09, 2016, 02:32:06 PM »
Hi there,

I'm restoring my '78 Mark I Stage Piano Seventy Three and have a question about procedure for cleaning off the residue on the (all plastic) hammers after removing the original hammer tips. How clean do the hammers need to be? Pictures showing before and after removal of residue below.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I've seen discussion on the forum about various methods for removing the hammer tip residue and have tried the box cutter method as well as the hand file method. I was a bit concerned because after lots of effort I'm still seeing some black areas where I'll need to glue on the new hammer tips and am now seeing some small quantities of the plastic come off as I cut or file away more of the previous hammer tips.

I've also just purchased a sander wheel Dremel tool attachment, which I haven't had the opportunity to use yet, but am not sure it's the best idea anyway as the sand paper is very gritty and I don't want to sand away the surface of the hammers.

Any opinions or suggestions are much welcome!

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
Re: Preparing Hammers for New Hammer Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 02:58:33 PM »
Those look pretty good to me. Maybe work on that leftmost one a little more. I do worry about material being left on the lip in front because it might keep the tip from fitting snugly up against there.

I used a sanding drum on a Dremel a little. It worked OK but did require being extra-careful not to go too far.

I've been using a hand file for quite a while. It's toothed on three of the four sides. I keep the smooth side up against the front lip until I've got the main surface cleaned off, then give it a couple of passes with the toothing up against the lip to get it cleaned up.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 04:08:18 PM by David Aubke »
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 03:07:50 PM »
I get great results with just a stanley blade, simply scraping the residue of glue or rubber off. I put a plank of wood in front of the hammers to scrape onto so I dont chop my hands off.  8)

Offline juniornoodle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 03:10:49 PM »
Thanks David. This is very helpful and I appreciate the feedback. I actually saw a post where you posted these images, and noticed that the hammer in your top photo appears to be much cleaner than any of mine. I'll try to work off a bit more of the material on the lip as you mentioned and call it a day. Perhaps using a newer hand file will help as I was having a pretty hard time scraping off residue from the lip.

That hammer on the far left of the "After" photo snuck into the photo before I cleaned it off.

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:11:34 PM »
I get great results with just a stanley blade, simply scraping the residue of glue or rubber off. I put a plank of wood in front of the hammers to scrape onto so I dont chop my hands off.  8)

Can you elaborate? How do you hold things? In which direction do you scrape?

It always seemed awkward to me. Hard to get a good angle of attack without risking damage to the front lip.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline goldphinga

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 10:04:28 AM »
I dont normally hold the hammers, just the pressure from moving the knife towards the front edge/lip holds the hammer in position, then i just hold the old piece of floorboard in my left hand and scrape away gently- i often make a couple of cuts downwards right on the edge of the front lip to free any material there then scrape from back to front with the blade lying flat. I also have chainmail gloves that I use too to avoid any cuts to my hand/fingers. Never had any problems taking off the front lip by accident, except when i once used a dremel tool, will never do that again. Much prefer to use a simple blade. Then I run my finger over the hammer surface to make sure its smooth once this is all done, if any bits remain i scrape again or use some light grade sandpaper.

Offline David Aubke

• Vendor
  • Mark V
    • View Profile
    • Shadetree Keys
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 10:12:54 AM »
Thank you.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Offline juniornoodle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 07:42:11 PM »
Just wanted to check, there's only one lip on each hammer right? One to place the hammer tip against on the side closest to the keys when installed, right? May sound like a funny question but there's so much glue on my hammers that it kinda looks like there are two lips when I remove the hammer tips. Didn't want to sand away part of the hammer tips! Thanks!