News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

uneven note volumes

Started by groover, October 27, 2016, 12:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groover

Hi guys,
I've been working on my Wurli 200A, I've replaced the damaged circuit board with a new Warneck one and a few broken reeds. All is pretty good. But i've got a couple of notes that sound louder and stronger than the rest. Has anyone got a suggestion on evening out note volumes? I've read in posts here to bend the pickup up or down to get it closer or further away from the reed, but i've also read some posts saying not to do that. I have cautiously tried it and i didn't think it really make a difference in the note volume. Has anyone got any suggestions in solving this problem?
Thanks guys

cinnanon

Make sure the reed is centered in the pickup.

groover

Hi,
Yep sorry i forgot to mention that i made sure of that too. Reeds are centered in the pickups.
Could adjusting the let off screw slightly have a relationship with the volume of the note? Generally the piano is fairly even, it's just a couple of notes are louder, and possibly the very top half octave might be too quiet, but thats an issue i'll look at later
Cheers   

Jenzz

Hi .-)
As on the Rhodes, striking line is the most important thing to get good dynamics and volume. On a Wurly, you have to heat the hammer stems (hot melt glue) and 'bend' them into the best responding position.

Also, propper reed lenght is important. In the 21 - 42 range, the reeds ends should go roundabout 9mm into the pickup.

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

cinnanon

Quote from: groover on October 28, 2016, 01:20:19 AM
Reeds are centered in the pickups.

Like exactly centered? If it's too close to one side, volume goes up. There's hardly any wiggle room there.

Quote from: groover on October 28, 2016, 01:20:19 AM
Could adjusting the let off screw slightly have a relationship with the volume of the note?

I think it would help. If it's less than 1/8" then yes it will help. It should be 1/8" per the manual.

Also, soft upper-octave notes could be bent reeds or dampened reeds. I found that good reeds can be dampened if they sit too far "back" on the reedbar.  My reedbar needed to be filed to get good volume/sustain from the upper reeds, even when the reed sat fully "forward" in relation to the reed screw.

pianotuner steveo

No, do not adjust the let off unless the hammer is malfunctioning. Cinnanon, I usually agree with you, but in this case it has to be something else.

@ Groover: Adjusting the Let off is to fix hammers that are either A: blocking against the reeds or breaking the reeds,(this is either letting off too late or not at all)

-OR-

B: when you feel like you need to "pound" on the keys to get them to work (a symptom of letting off too early)

Symptom B is a common issue with Wurlitzers that have not been serviced in a long time, especially the 120/700/112A actions, but I have also seen this in 140/200 series actions.

Yes, setting let off too early can make them a little quieter, but it will also make those keys impossible to play with a light touch. I think in this case it is strictly a reed to pickup issue. The next thing I would try is to remove one of the reeds that is too loud, clean the Reed and around where it mounts with a clean rag, and remount it to see if it makes any difference. While the Reed is out, you may want to gently bend the aluminum pickup down a little bit. This may affect the Reed next to it as well, so be careful.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...