Finally a Solution for my Rhodes Sustain Pedal Problems!

Started by Helmey, December 07, 2016, 03:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helmey

My first Rhodes was a suitcase model, so I never had to think much about the sustain pedal; it was just there. Now that I have recently acquired a couple of beautiful stage pianos, I've had a terrible time with the placement of the sustain pedal assemblies.  The pedals tend to move around, they work differently on carpet and hard floors, and they are difficult to setup in the correct spot every time.

I was totally frustrated. I looked for other solutions and contacted my Rhodes wizard, Ken Rich, a few months ago about his aftermarket mechanism, but he told me to wait. He was working on something new and great that would solve all my problems. Well, this week I got his latest creation in the mail and boy, is he right. This thing is amazing!

Ken's Loc-n-Roc Pedal Stabilization System fixes all of my issues with the Rhodes sustain mechanism. It is a machined aluminum device that attaches to the Rhodes legs and sustain pedal to ensure the pedal is secure and properly positioned every time. It elevates the pedal slightly so that it works well on all kinds of surfaces; and I can kick the bejeesus out of the pedal and it won't move an inch. On the rare occasion when I want to move my piano, it folds up compactly and fits inside the lid compartment.

I called Ken and ordered a second set for my other Rhodes, and I can't imagine owning a Stage model without one. I have a set of his Straddlers, which also fold up and fit into the case, and I've always been impressed with Ken's thoughtful design and attention to detail. This is no exception. The initial cost of the Loc-n-Roc is a no-brainer at $67.95 and (I believe) they can now be ordered directly through the Ken Rich Sound Services website (kenrichsounds.com).

cinnanon

I'd put some rubber grommets in the holes that contact the legs so they don't scratch the legs up....

kenrichsoundservices

They Don't hurt the legs in any way
You assemble the Loc-N-Roc,  lay the pedal on the floor and the foot of the leg drop into the position. No damage, The pedal will not slip and the new articulation of the sustain pedal will be a dream
Once it's installed on the pedal it does not have to be removed, folds neatly into the case storage and we even included storage so you don't loose the feet when removed for storage
info@kenrichsounds.com
shop@kenrichsounds.com

cinnanon

Oh very cool! I didn't realize there were rubber feet on Rhodes legs, but I see it now.  I never really payed close enough attention to it.  Will you ever bring back the Wurlitzer pedal sustain assembly for the Rhodes? I thought those were pretty cool.

kenrichsoundservices

The pull sustain is being completely re designed. Anyone that knows me knows that if I'm not happy with a product we've developed we work it until it's right.
I'm very happy with the new Pull Sustain design that we're soon going to re release, but the Loc-N-Roc is off the charts for Rhodes stage players that have been suffering with that  stupid pedal since the dawn of spit  8)
info@kenrichsounds.com
shop@kenrichsounds.com

Ben Bove

This looks like a rock solid solution.  I think we've all been there when we've run out of gaffer's tape trying to hold the thing in place.  A simple bar in the back wouldn't do it, the front of the pedal would still move - this looks like it locks in the pedal in at all 4 feet, so that's not moving anywhere.  Plus it folds up?  Great.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

timpotent

Would this fit an 88 as well ?
Maybe the leg distance is the same between an 88 and a 73, I can't compare :-)

Tim Hodges

Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com