Author Topic: Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo Capacitor Replacement  (Read 993 times)

Offline Justin Waterhouse

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo Capacitor Replacement
« on: January 23, 2017, 04:05:03 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I have been advised to replace the caps to reduce noise, I have made a list of the parts but there are lots of different types of capacitors, made of different materials. I have contacted Hifi Collective but they haven't got back to me. I know theirs will be expensive but probably good quality. What does good quality mean? Expensive? But what type? I have also sent the list to Farnell Electronics, they have sent me a list of their stock - just "basic" capacitors (whatever they are - probably the same as what Hohner used). I want the best sound. The Farnell option is £6. I can stretch to a bit more than that. What shall I go for?
Thanks! Justin

Offline ilcaccillo

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo Capacitor Replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 05:38:19 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I have been advised to replace the caps to reduce noise, I have made a list of the parts but there are lots of different types of capacitors, made of different materials. I have contacted Hifi Collective but they haven't got back to me. I know theirs will be expensive but probably good quality. What does good quality mean? Expensive? But what type? I

For Future reference:

- For electrolytics use Panasonic rated at 105 degrees and low ESR (all Panasonic series are really good)

- For Film caps, use Wima, Panasonic, Vishay, Sprague, Phillips, Mundorf or Nichicon, all of them are high quality

- For filter circuits in the picofarads range use Polystyrene capacitors sometimes called Styroflex

- Tantalum capacitors I always replace them with high quality electrolytics, maybe not everyone agrees but Tantalum caps hava a tendency to when they fail they fail short, do a short circuit, and sometimes the end result is devastating.
Some people say the tantalum caps should not be replace with electrolytics because it has impact on the sound, I never noticed any sound impact but if you are worried, replace the old tantalum's with new high quality tantalum from a good well know brand.

Avoid at all costs Chinese brands, unknown brands, unbranded capacitors, and in the case of Electrolytics avoid NOS caps (you want as new production as possible on the Electrolytic).
For Film caps NOS is fine