Author Topic: 3363 dilemma  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Reverbmotator

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
3363 dilemma
« on: January 24, 2017, 01:54:30 AM »
Hello all,

I recently bought a MkII Stage 73 and have been enjoying it very much. Even more recently I bought from a family member what I thought was another later Rhodes but turned out to be the infamous Rhodes "Electronic" Piano model 3363. He was going to sell it to me for $100 and I, thinking I was getting a ridiculous deal on another MkII that might have needed some work, gave him $200. Opening that case up once I got it home was a fairly traumatic experience.

Anyway, it has four dead keys and the ones that do work sound like a freaking Atari. What do I do with this thing? I know I can try to sell the legs and stuff but is there any redemption for the piano itself? Can these things be revoiced or something? Or even repaired?

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
Re: 3363 dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
Being a digital piano, the dead keys (if they are random across the keyboard) may just need their key contacts cleaned.  That's the most common issue I run into with vintage digital keyboards from the 80s for dead notes, like Roland etc.

Wacky Atari notes - meaning they sound like static noise or change notes etc?  It probably needs some sort of servicing, and may not be worth investing the time to resell it.  You may want to keep the legs and dump the keyboard on craigslist for parts.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline Reverbmotator

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:39:20 PM »
I just meant the tone of the sounds it makes is pretty bad. Four different voices of suck. Compared to an actual Rhodes, anyway. Of course I'm hoping there's someone out there who loves the sound...

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
They were originally made by ARP - Rhodes acquired the manufacturing rights during the ARP liquidation.  They were not the high point of ARP/Rhodes history and they would cost more to fix than they are worth.

I'm repairing a 3303 ARP 16 Voice piano now, bought a fixer-upper from eBay.  I am really close to getting audio restored, until then I can't report on their sound.  I love the piano-like action on these things.  Rhodes never made the 16 voice pianos, only the 4 voice.

Both 16 and 4 voice pianos are very similar circuit wise, with the 4 voice a simpler affair with phaser and envelope follower omitted and the voice filtering simplified.  But tracing audio problems is a PITA in these things.  Rhodes simplified the action with fewer parts and it doesn't feel the same.

Offline Tehu

• Mark I
  • Player of fine keyboard instrument
    • View Profile
    • Dézuets d'Plingrés
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 02:57:43 PM »
Honestly, I think the effort is worthless. I already own one, and keep it for less than 1 week (Im use to analog cheezy piano like Roland EP-10/30, Yamaha CP-10...), I know that the sound is simple and unrealist, but the Rhodes 3363 had the worst of the worst sound and feeling ever! I keep the legs/brace and sold it.
Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 88 1977, Wurlitzer 200a, Columbia Elepian 713, Yamaha CP60M, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg MS20mini, Arturia Minibrute, Sequential Prophet 2002, Akai MPC2500, NI Maschine MKI&MK2, Ibanez UE-405

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:48:39 PM »
Have to agree with Tehu.  Been playing with mine after I got the audio restored.  Not a stellar sound.

Offline rctphd56

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 12:42:28 AM »
I have a 3363 and love it.  It is NOT the classic Rhodes so comparing it to that sound makes no sense.  However, it has four interesting sounds and the electric piano sound is enjoyable and fine.  This unit gets far too much bad press because it's compared to the classic Rhodes.  Take it for what it is and I think it works great.  I use if recording in my studio and love the sounds I get.  I also have a vintage Wurlie 200A and alternate between the two.