News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Restoring a Yamaha CP70

Started by alexdecker, January 31, 2017, 07:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexdecker

Hi all

I am tinkering with the thought of restoring my old Yamaha CP70. It plays great, so it would primarily be a cosmetic restoration. I've done a few searches, but there is not much information about this sort of thing on the internet.

Does any members in here have any experience with this kind of thing?

I of course want to retolex the whole thing. A challenging part could be the metallic front panel with the Yamaha logo on it. It has some paint chipped of, but I dont know if I can mask out the Yamaha logo properly, and then get it resprayed in a car shop or something like that.

I would also have to take all the metallic parts (hinges, handles etc.) and get them resprayed I think.

If any in here have any experience, good or bad, at all, I would love to hear it!

– Alex

pianotuner steveo

I personally wouldn't waste the time and money on it, but that's my opinion. They were a great EP at the time, ( because nothing else even remotely sounded like a piano other than an acoustic) but horrible to tune,even for pro tuners.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

mvanmanen

I am not a big fan of these either...but I recognize some people love them.
So if you love the sound, it plays great, and you also enjoy the work of a restoration then definitely take some pictures along the way and share them here.
:)

Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s and C
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N and Combo Pianet
Hammond B3

The Real MC

It would be a labor of love with all the digital pianos out there today.  If the strings have any rust at all, beware of snapping strings when they are played.  They are under high tension and can do some damage or serious injury.

rhodesjuzz

It would be just for fun to start a restoration like this.....

I've seen several of CP70's but all non-restored, it seems only a few people find it worth the amount of labour (labor for US) and money....

In my opinion they sound horrible (real and digital) but that is pure subjective. Don't let anyone tell you not to go ahead with it. Again, just for the fun  ;)  ;D

--Roy
1976 Rhodes Suitcase 73 <effects loop || EHX Holy Grail Nano>
Line 6 midi keys
Scarbee Mark I, A-200 and Classic EP-88S

pianotuner steveo

Also keep in mind that it will be unlikely to have any major action issues with this piano. If I remember correctly, the whippens are conventional Yamaha grand parts, but it would be highly unlikely to have to replace any. The hammers are leather, not felt. Let me know if you have any action questions on this, I've seen a few weird things happen over the years. Tighten all action mounting screws to reduce or eliminate any clicks. If you still hear some, I can tell you what to look for next.
there will be one screw per hammer on the top, and one per whippen on the back side.

Don't randomly turn action adjustment screws! If it plays fine, leave it.

And yes, be very careful of the strings. Never touch the copper wound bass strings with bare fingers, the oils from your skin can destroy copper strings. (it takes time, but it will happen) This is true in any stringed piano.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

pianotuner steveo

Snapping strings when playing can be a sign of incorrect (too close) letoff. Rust can be a factor, but usually rust will cause strings to snap when tuning, not playing. If there is any rust on the tuning pin coils, I can tell you what to do. DO NOT put oil on them!

1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Tim Hodges

I think they have their own charm, I would love to own one but shipping one over to the UK would cost a considerable amount.

Good luck with the restoration and if you do go ahead we'd love to see some photos.

Tim
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

alexdecker

Thanks for all your replies! I am still considering doing it, but will take some time thinking it over :)

– Alex

JanneI

Hi! I just bought CP-70 and I'm also going to retolex the whole thing, hopefully this summer. Looking forward to this project. If you guys have pics/info anything, please share! Thanks!