News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Clavinet E7 No Sound

Started by brandon_bruce, February 07, 2017, 06:05:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandon_bruce

I have an E7 that won't make any sound when I tap the pickups. It makes the familiar thud sound when I turn it on, and there's noise when I touch either of the 2 tiny posts on the top of the upper pickup - this noise gets louder as I increase the volume using the volume slider. No combination of the tone selection switches helps either.

Anyone know where to start troubleshooting?  Thanks.

bourniplus

Sorry if it's too obvious, but, battery / power?

Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes
Electronic Edge
http://www.elecedge.com
937-767-7174

Ben Bove

Something to check is that the E7 preamp circuit board is integrated rather than point-to-point wiring on the switches like the D6.

Check for cold solder joints, and anything visually burned out on the preamp board.  Also a little contact cleaner in the switches and a good rocking back and forth can restore some lightly oxidized connections.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

brandon_bruce

Thanks, Ben. I'll try your suggestions.

Jenzz

Hi .-)

Be sure that all the 4 screws in middle of the PCBs bottom are inserted. 2 of them are used as a ground return for the pickups  via the bracket that holds the Switch caps...

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

brandon_bruce

I used some contact cleaner on the switches, and now it's making sound. I'm encouraged that I can get this in nice playing condition again.

It doesn't seem like the lower pickup is working though. I hear noise when I tap the upper one, but not the lower one. When I switch the C/D switch to C, there's no sound.  Does this sound logical to anyone?

I'm not sure how to get at the lower pickup to inspect it. Does anyone know if there's a disassembly guide out there?

Thanks for the help, everyone.

brandon_bruce

For those that want to access the lower pickup, and haven't done so before, you first need to remove the harp from the instrument by removing several screws from the bottom of the case.  Flip the harp on its side and the pickup is hidden behind a large metal shield that is attached with a couple of screws.  Remove the shield, and then you have access to the lower pickup and dealing with it is much like the upper pickup.

My lower pickup has a hairline crack which I tried to fix with super glue (it has worked on an upper pickup before) but the quick fix isn't working this time.  I'll have to try a new pickup.

4kinga

Before digging too deep, check the switches again; possibly for continuity this time with a DVM.  If the upper came back with after hitting the switches, I'd check that.  I had one that I chased all around only to find out it was indeed the switch.