News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

Rhodes Bass repair

Started by Jtrunzo7743, March 13, 2017, 10:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jtrunzo7743

Hi guys!

Refurbishing a Rhodes Piano Bass for the first time. I have experience refurbishing some rhodes and Wurlitzer's but wondering if theres anything I need to know for the bass.

First: Damper felts and Grommets/screws, do they just follow the same as a typical Rhodes? I need to replace all of them on this particular one, its pretty beat.

Cleaning pickups, these things are a bit corroded, but they do all work. How do you typically clean these?

Thanks

David Aubke

Quote from: Jtrunzo7743 on March 13, 2017, 10:05:21 PMCleaning pickups, these things are a bit corroded, but they do all work. How do you typically clean these?

I cut all of the bus wires, desolder the terminals and pull off the old tape. I scrape off the soldering flux that's always splattered on the bobbin, blow it off with compressed air and apply new tape.

But I don't recommend that. It's unnecessary and risks damaging the pickup at every step.

To clean the magnetic slug, I use a Dremel with a brass wire wheel. Quickly makes rusty slugs shiny. I've tried other buffing-type attachments but nothing comes close to the wire wheel. The problem is, the wheels are fragile. They shed wires very easily and you have to be careful to get through an entire set of pickups with a single wheel.

After cleaning the slugs, I drop some Boeshield on them to forestall future rusting.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

Jtrunzo7743

Awesome! Thanks thats very helpful. You have any clue what size damper felts this thing needs or does it matter?

David Aubke

Quote from: Jtrunzo7743 on March 15, 2017, 01:45:18 PMYou have any clue what size damper felts this thing needs or does it matter?

Sorry, I have no first-hand experience with Piano Basses. To my knowledge, they're nothing more than the low end of a standard Seventy Three so I'd be reaching for my 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/8" felts. I don't think the exact size is too critical. Just... big.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

pianotuner steveo

David is correct with the damper info.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

Jtrunzo7743

I placed an order according to those specs, I'll post some before and after pics when it's all done!
Thanks guys