Author Topic: Wurlitzer 200 Dull Reed issue SOLVED!  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Allenm

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Wurlitzer 200 Dull Reed issue SOLVED!
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:30:40 AM »
 ;D

OKAY!

After 12 hours I solved the problem. If you have dull reeds near the ends of both reed bars (near middle c) it has to do with reed bar height and how close and far from the strike line. SMALL movements matter! Here is what worked on MY wurly.

1. I cut out SEVERAL shims from office folders. I found that on my piano I had to UNSCREW the reed bar screws on the left side of the TREBLE bar and the right side of the BASS bar. Then I begin to hear my dull reeds become long sustaining notes. Sustain time was appx 3 seconds+

2. Now I added shims (appx 7 or 8) to the back left post of the TREBLE bar. Then I screwed both screws lightly in.

3. I then added shims on the Bass bar to the back right AND a few on the front right. Then I screwed lightly in.

This process involves leaving the amp connected and listening to sustain times. I would turn the wurly off once I brought my screwdriver near the thing. So keep adding shims and removing some, try and figure out where the reed bar needs height and add shims to that part. You may need to shim the front and back like I did or just the back on either treble or bass section. It just depends what you need for YOUR piano.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 01:36:28 AM by Allenm »

Offline TimeAndTineAgain

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Re: Wurlitzer 200 Dull Reed issue SOLVED!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2019, 08:24:37 PM »
Great post! Just make sure not to try this technique on a Wurlitzer 700  ;)

Offline Tonewheel

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 02:28:25 AM »
Nice! Thanks for sharing.
1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond 100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

Offline cinnanon

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 03:24:32 AM »
Great details, but I think you’ve mistaken what you were actually doing (no offense!). You’ve basically “un-torqued” the reedbar. Though this does change the height of the reed bar, more importantly you’ve relieved any stress the screws/brackets put on the reedbar. It’s one of the hardest things to track down. Usually you fix certain notes, only to have another area become plagued with dullness.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2020, 03:26:06 AM by cinnanon »