News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

My Fender Rhodes Mark 1 Stage Piano front legs got disassembled, now what?

Started by nancyv, March 19, 2017, 03:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nancyv

Hello & thanks for this forum!

I have a 1973 Fender Rhodes Stage Piano Mark 1 that we bought new in 1973.  (I'll spare you the whole sad story of my young musician husband who died of cancer shortly after this purchase.  We LOVED this piano,and it made us happy. )  It's lived in our basement, next to the Hammond B3 for 20 years.  We loaned it to a dear friend, which is good, when you hear how it came back from the gig:

Front legs are disassembled, with a baggie of parts.  We can't figure out how to put them back together.  The original manual is no use, because the legs were shipped assembled. Can anyone advise?  See attached photo, and thank you!

Jenzz

Hi .-)

First, the 3rd part from the right (which has the thread that goes into the pianos leg flange) has to be fixed to the leg tube (welded or hard-soldered) on the non threaded side.

Put the inner leg into the outer tube with the rubber end-stop facing into the tube...

Now comes the tricky part: Put the 3 1/3 ring pieces around the innter leg while the conicle outside surface of these 3 pieces set into the rim of the outer tube. For securing, the O-Ring must be placed on top of the  3 1/3 rings. Please note that this part only fits in one direction. On the inner side, there is a plain and a conical end. The conical end should go towards the 3 1/3 rings. If all 4 pieces are propper in place, the inner leg should be centered inside the outer tube.
To secure these, put the knurled sleeve over the inner leg and screw onto the outer tube...

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

Tim Hodges

Hi Nancy,

As Jenzz said, here's a side diagram to help put it back together.

Apologies for the MS Paint skills.

First of all, your parts named for the diagram:

Unfortunately the top part (marked Part C needs welding back on to the top of the steel tube leg) this is probably why they disassembled it in the first place to see if they could repair it.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

nancyv

Wow, I am impressed!  Thank you - now to find a welder....

Hurrah for the hive mind and great folks. 

Nancy

Tim Hodges

Quote from: nancyv on March 20, 2017, 10:33:13 AM
Wow, I am impressed!  Thank you - now to find a welder....

Hurrah for the hive mind and great folks. 

Nancy

Also worth saying Nancy that after many years of tightening they do sometimes come off (I've had a couple of legs which have been welded by previous owners) so go easy on your friend :-)
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

nancyv

Our pal is also our luthier, and bakes a lovely pie -- so all was forgiven --

Ben Bove

Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606