News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Replacing capacitors on 200a, what type are the 0.33uF ones?

Started by adcbicycle, April 03, 2017, 08:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adcbicycle

What kind of capacitors are C30, C31 and C34 on the 200a? I see they're not polarized on the schematic, so I guess they're not electrolytic. Do I even need to replace them? What are they? Film?  They're those grey horizontal/flat ones in the front right.
Thanks!

Jenzz

Hi .-)

These 3 are the filter caps for the pickup's voltage supply, so these are not that critical and normally don't have to be replaced.

But due to their mechanical size (and vibration inside the piano), their solder joints are often prone to breakage. So be shure to resolder all joints of these 3 caps.

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

Tim Hodges

Nowadays their modern equivalents are so small that it would address the lid hitting them. 

Also those caps are going to be at least 35 years old so for 35p each they're worth replacing anyway.

I used Panasonic 0.33uf polyester film capacitors in mine.

They have the necessary 10mm lead pitch (the space between the PCB holes) these can be found pretty much anywhere.

The originals:

The replacements:

Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

adcbicycle