Author Topic: Tolex colour  (Read 2999 times)

Offline adcbicycle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Tolex colour
« on: June 27, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »
Interested in seeing which tolex colour adds the most value to a restored piano, according to your personal preference which would you pay more for?

1. Original boring black
2. Red
3. Olive green
4. Other?

Offline JanustheManus

• Mark I
  • 1977 Mark 1 Stage w/ Stereo Vibe
    • View Profile
Re: Tolex colour
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
Sparkly Blue? might be of interest, all though I've never seen a blue Rhodes in person,  so you might want a more expert opinion.
Why didn't Fender Rhodes stick with the lovely reflective Sparkle Top rail?

Offline Oliver Sheen

• Mark I
  • 1969 Suitcase 73
    • View Profile
    • Oliver Sheen Pianist & Vocalist
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
Well I like original black - it's classic. But to be honest if I were going to go off piste with it I'd probably have (in this order):

Black sparkly
Brown Alligator skin (not real, obv)
Brown Western
Blue snakeskin

Offline adcbicycle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
Hmm, I like blue too, but didn't mention it because I've never seen a blue one. But if others like it too ... well...
I don't think the place I buy tolex has sparkly unfortunately
https://qcomponents.ca/Tolex_Regency_Blue_Bronco.html

I recently did 3 tolex jobs, 2 black and one red and was disappointed how uninteresting the black ones looked, so am hesitant about going classic this time. Also the red one sold first, at nearly twice the price.

Offline JanustheManus

• Mark I
  • 1977 Mark 1 Stage w/ Stereo Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »
Oh I interpreted the question in my mind as a color for the harp cover. But no, it's Tolex. Sparkly Tolex would be weird, but I would still go with blue. My bad :)
Why didn't Fender Rhodes stick with the lovely reflective Sparkle Top rail?

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »
It's a hard call when you're looking at specifically "adding value."  Colored tolex is all personal preference, and if you do it in red, you have to find a "red" buyer.  You may have had just that, and lucked out on price.  I've always had the most general luck restoring things in classic black.  It sits well with the most buyers.

If it's not black, red would be the next most popular, maybe followed by white.  As you get outside of that (again just from a sales standpoint), you have a real chance just sitting on a piano because it's not somebody's color.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline rhodesjuzz

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 03:12:31 PM »
Black for sure.... and if I really had to choose a colour it would be blue
1976 Rhodes Suitcase 73 <effects loop || EHX Holy Grail Nano>
Line 6 midi keys
Scarbee Mark I, A-200 and Classic EP-88S

Offline Oliver Sheen

• Mark I
  • 1969 Suitcase 73
    • View Profile
    • Oliver Sheen Pianist & Vocalist
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 03:32:41 PM »
Brown is the new black...

Offline Chris Carroll

• Vendor
  • Mark I
    • View Profile
    • http://www.vintagevibe.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 04:49:03 PM »
 What Ben said!  Black Tolex to sell to the largest perspective audience.  Your personal tastes are that of your own.  If you plan on keeping it do whatever you like. If you want to sell it quick and for the most money go black.   
Vintage Vibe will do all we can to help anyone out in a fair and honest way. Call us up or email anytime.  "Love is the answer"

Offline adcbicycle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 06:33:45 PM »
I agree, black is definitely the safest.
For me personally I would choose any colour over black, just for originality reasons.
Lots of blue love here though, would a blue piano and blue fender rhodes amp be absolutely crazy?

Offline Ben Bove

• Vendor
  • MIDI Mark V
  • Formerly bjammerz
    • View Profile
    • Retro Rentals Website
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »
The original color scheme of the piano works in grayscale - black, silver, white keys, etc.

As you start adding color to it, it's more of a question of color theory and how different colors work with what's there.  Blue might be cool, but you may have to look at other parts of the piano so that it doesn't look like a standard Rhodes with blue slapped on it.  You might need to look at one of the Vintage Vibe lids or changing color on other parts to be happy with the end result. 

For example, pianos in brown tend to look a lot better as you swap out the black cheek blocks, black lid etc. and make it look more like a designed piano in that color.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.RetroRentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet

Offline adcbicycle

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
Good points. I won't be buying a new lid or cheek blocks, so definitely something to consider.

Offline 4kinga

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 08:13:37 AM »
I've seen the tweed ones.  Those are classy!

Offline Kbjazzman

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 07:34:20 AM »
Nice tweed cabinet

Offline Electrickey

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 04:24:08 AM »
From a performance point, changing the color of a large instrument places the performer (unless you're a drummer) in a situation to where if you don't play like Corea or Bob James, the audience will only see your bright colored box you happen to be standing/sitting at and not so much you.

Unlike a drummer whose job description is very visual hand gestures in sync with the music with flashy cymbals flying all over the place, fun to watch by itself, unless you a keyboard player dresses up like Liberace, you won't be that much a visual attraction if you don't play burning notes to attract the attention, if even that.

Only your friends and family will be amused when someone asks, "where's Jazzy Massa" and they can say, "see that dayglo green thing?"

If you are a stage performer with pro lights, a white color will change with the lights giving your total appearance a change every few seconds or minutes which then adds to the light show, saving from visual boredom.

The concept of stage dressing is to direct the eye of the viewer, to make them look over here and there and not remember there's that loud colored thing no matter where they look. This is where black works its magic allowing you the performer to stick out when the lights hit you and not making the whole band suffer for the eye magnet on stage.

Any other colors other than black is just personal and ok if you're just jamming in your studio or living room and the resale of the item is not a concern.

Even if playing an avocado green Wurli, or a red or beige, will only mean something to those who know what a Wurli is, and that Wurli had a scant few in those colors.

To the rest of the lay watchers, it will be meaningless if not a distraction.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 04:31:55 AM by Electrickey »

Offline d-rock

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 07:36:47 AM »
I think black is best but recently came across this tolex I thought would look amazing on a Rhodes...Blackened Tuna Tolex

Offline The Real MC

• Mark II
    • View Profile
    • My '67 sparkletop Rhodes
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Tweed looks cool, but is not durable for gigging.  Unless you plan to cart it in an Anvil case.

Offline Electrickey

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 03:59:04 PM »
If you must have a need for speed, car wrap is easy to install. 8)

Offline Johnnyfever

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »
Here is mine I just did in red.  Saw another one and really liked it.  I actually bought brand new black tolex first, but decided what the hell.   Now I have enough black tolex to last me for several amps add cabs lol.

Also liked the classy white and the 60's seafoam green, but I feared they would look too worn too fast.