News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Pianet Model Names and Differences

Started by theseacowexists, August 28, 2017, 08:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theseacowexists

Can anyone provide insight on what the different model names of the Hohner Pianet were supposed to mean?  Somewhere way back, I was under the impression that N referred to the Natural finish and that T referred to the Tolex finish.  This despite the fact that they were never produced at the same time.  Then I learned of the existence of the original unnamed model, the C, CH, L, LB, and Combo.  The first and last ones are seem self explanatory enough to me.  But what about the others?  It seems unlikely to me that N stands for natural, since all of the other early models have natural wood finishes, and from what I understand, all the models except the Combo came before the N.  I wonder if perhaps the letters stand for German words that are obvious descriptive words for the models, but get lost in the translation.

What are even the differences between the unnamed, C, and CH?  They all seem cosmetically identical to me.  Is it something different internally?  Isn't the N basically the same instrument, only in a slightly smaller case?

The only model name I can make an educated guess on is the LB, with B standing for Battery, since the LB is the battery-powered version of the L.  But of course, what does L stand for?  My guess on that one would be that it stands for Louie, since the L was the one used by the Kingsmen  :P

But seriously, any answers or guesses to these answers would be great to know!

Oh, and I almost forgot about the M - which a suppose stands for Modulator, Hohner's name for the phaser circuit built into the unit.

Jenzz

Hi .-)

Check this out:

http://www.hohner-pianet.com/hohner_pianet/

...but ii is in german....

The effect inside the Pianet M is a Chorus based on the TDA1022 chip...

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)