News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

Anyone know of keybed screw for mid '77 stage?

Started by JanustheManus, August 14, 2017, 07:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanustheManus

Hello all,
Sorry for posting many topics, I am new to Rhodes ownership.

Some backstory:

The 'culprit' of my keys sticking was the right key bed screw, not the tolex.

I unscrewed both screws, moved the keybed away from the tolex, and playability was normal. I screwed the left keybed screw back in, and the keybed wasn't going to move anywhere. I screwed the right one in, and low and behold: the right side wiggled.

I narrowed it down to the screws. The left side screw seemed original; as it was slightly rusty. The right side screw was newer, and smaller.

Does anyone know where I could find a keybed screw that it the exact same size as the left one?

Thank you!

Why didn't Fender Rhodes stick with the lovely reflective Sparkle Top rail?

David Aubke

The large screws that thread into the aluminum harp support are 1/4-20 x 2" Phillips oval head machine.
The smaller screws that go into the cheek block support are #8-15 x 1-1/2" Phillips oval head wood.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

JanustheManus

Thank you David!

I think these were the screws I was mentioning:
And #2 on the diagram. That screw.

JanustheManus

I could get one from Vintage Vibe, but my screw might be from Vintage Vibe, so I'm not quite sure. (I have no way of verifying that).

David Aubke

The screw in the upper-right corner of that screenshot would be #1 in the diagram. Though they don't list the actual size and I can't figure out what a "Mark II baffle" might be. Regardless, there's only one wood screw of that size that pairs with a finish washer on a Mark II and it's #1 in the diagram.

#2 is the 1/4-20 oval head with a machine thread. Both these screws and the finish washers should be commonly available at the hardware store. You won't be able to find nickel-plated but if you get stainless steel and polish them, they look remarkably similar.

edit I misunderstood the image. That's the 1/4-20 in the upper-right and the Baffle screw is off the screen. I thought I saw a point at the end of the screw.
Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

JanustheManus

JanustheManus

So getting a new 'case screw' wouldn't do the job?

JanustheManus

Ah gotcha. I also posted the image in a confusing way. Thank you. I will look around for the 1/4-20 machine thread screw.

David Aubke

Quote from: JanustheManus on August 15, 2017, 09:14:07 PM
So getting a new 'case screw' wouldn't do the job?

The "case screw" is the one that threads into the aluminum harp support. I don't see #1 in that screenshot but really, a #8-15 x 1-1/2" Phillips oval head wood screw would be readily available at a hardware store. I just checked Vintage Vibe's site and I don't think I'm able to find a #1 screw listed.

Dave Aubke
Shadetree Keys

JanustheManus

Alright. I just remember when screwing the screw in, the nut washer piece(?) started spinning around freely. I'll get back to you on that.

Thank you!

JanustheManus

These screws screw into the metal piece on the bottom of the key frame. I don't think that would be the harp support

JanustheManus

I'm an idiot. It would be the harp support. Well I will look around. Thank you for your time Mr. Aubke