How to make built in effects pedal?

Started by JanustheManus, August 31, 2017, 08:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanustheManus

I have a Phase 90 and I was wondering how people would make a built in effects pedal?

Drill holes in the name rail but still keep the fx pedal box? Mount board directly to name rail?

Thank you!
Why didn't Fender Rhodes stick with the lovely reflective Sparkle Top rail?

sean

sean

Don't tape the Phase 90 to the name rail.  The guy who suggested that is a jerk.

You could indeed butcher your name rail (on a Mark I), and shoehorn a Phase 90 in there sideways.
On a Mark II, you can simply cut a new control plate to mount in the name rail.

I can't believe that it would be worth it.  It should be pretty easy to get a short patch cord, and lay the Phase 90 right on top of the curved lid.  If you want to get fancy, build a small flat pedal board that sits above the lid.  Or - get a cheap bar stool from Ikea, set it directly to the left of the Rhodes, and put your effects on top of the bar stool.  (I use this arrangement.)

If you have the Phase 90 built into the name rail, you have to worry about running down the battery (remember to unplug every time).  The price of 9V batteries just keeps getting uglier and uglier.

Sean

JanustheManus

Thank you Sean. I am now also considering otherwise. I guess I thought it looked cool at one point.

rhodesworks

I used to put a strip of velcro on the end block and bottom of the effect unit.

JanustheManus

bourniplus

I've sometimes thought of adding onboard tremolo to my MarkV using a DIY pedal I made some years ago, but I'm glad I never did it, and I don't think I ever will.
Keeping your Rhodes "stock" has its advantages:
-no need to modify the namerail
-you have a good reason to try many pedals!
-no need to worry about batteries, unless it's a true-bypass setup - which can also have its own problems

Just my 2 cents
Martin

vintagekey1975

Keep it on the lower end block like Donald Fagen  8)
Mk I Rhodes Stage 73 (1977) With VV Stereovibe
Hammond B3 + Leslie
MK II Farfisa Compact Duo

JanustheManus

I agree with bourniplus. I'll just keep my namesake the way it is.