News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Plasti dip my wurly top?

Started by rrgrr, September 16, 2017, 04:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrgrr

Hey folks, new guy here. I have some ugly wurlies and thought I might plasti-dip one for fun and see how it holds up. ::) They have some pretty cool colors, Has anyone tried this?

sean

adcbicycle

Here's a red 200a I recently did with vinyl spray paint. I was skeptical the red would cover over black but it seemed to work fine.

rrgrr

Thanks for the detail shot ADC, looks like you used quite a bit of dye/paint to get it covered!

adcbicycle

I think 2 coats, maybe 3, but only one can!

rrgrr

The idea I had was so I could make it a crazy different color and not commit to it. Maybe be able to change it from show to show for fun.
I think to make it easy, I could put gaff over the speaker holes, and spray over that. If I was a better photoshop'r, I would try some visually...

Jtrunzo7743

cinnanon

Quote from: adcbicycle on September 17, 2017, 10:10:34 PM

What brand/color did you use?

Painted the speaker screws and all! Get any on the speaker cones? That aluminum trim around the outside of the lid is a pain too.  Tough to get good adhesion on painters tape on that short little ledge.  An xacto-knife will scrape the paint right off of that edge. I'm anal though...

rrgrr

Well here's the Student chop I was working on -Duplicolor vinyl dye gloss on the top, flat on the bottom. It's very stageworthy now! :)

I masked the aluminum trim a couple times, and still touched it up with a tiny brush in the gaps, and polished the aluminum, too.
I'd like to find some tolex tape to redo that part, or even round rubber to fit the channel -like car body side molding, the metal likes to scratch things and get nicked.

adcbicycle

Quote from: cinnanon on November 16, 2017, 10:03:58 AM
Quote from: adcbicycle on September 17, 2017, 10:10:34 PM

What brand/color did you use?

Painted the speaker screws and all! Get any on the speaker cones? That aluminum trim around the outside of the lid is a pain too.  Tough to get good adhesion on painters tape on that short little ledge.  An xacto-knife will scrape the paint right off of that edge. I'm anal though...
I forget the brand/color, I looked for duplicolor vinyl, but didn't carry it, I just chose a type that said it adhered well to vinyl. For the speakers I removed them for the paint job and dipped the heads of the screws in the paint. Yes, the trim is a pain, I tried to tape it, but it didn't really work, I tried to scrap off the paint with a knife, but I guess I'm not enough of a perfectionist  to get it all off.

Adam Ziolkowski

No such thing as an ugly Wurlitzer....
Hammond A102, Moog Concertmate MG-1 Rhodes MK 60 Digital Electric Piano with Grand, Clavinet D6, Vibraphone, Hammond M111, Leslie 145, Leslie Cream Pedal, Farfisa Leslie RSC-350, Farfisa Compact, Catalinbread Echorec, Wurlitzer 214, Bontempi, VST: Mini Moog,ARP Solina,SCI Prophet 5,Mellotron,EMS Putney,EMS VCS 3,Vox Continental,Pipe Organ,Step Sequencer,Drum Machine.61 Key Controller.Used to own a Hammond M3 owned by Prince's Keyboard Tech.19 years of age.A millennial with taste.