News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Microtonal Tuning for Rhodes?

Started by JanustheManus, September 30, 2017, 07:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanustheManus

There are many pitch shifting pedals out there (like the Digitech Whammy and the EHX Pitch Fork) but they all go by by semitones.

I personally like an off tune Rhodes because it brings extra warmth to the sound.
Is there a pedal that has a microtonal tuning slide like this one on this Kurzweil? Or is there a way in which I could build one (and attach it to the name rail of my Rhodes) ?
Why didn't Fender Rhodes stick with the lovely reflective Sparkle Top rail?

bourniplus

I don't understand what kind of out-of-tuneness you're looking for. Shift the whole thing up or down? Layer an off-pitch signal with the original for a chorus effect? Having a kind of pitch bend joystick?

JanustheManus

Like a pitch joystick/wheel that doesn't spring back to its original position. Almost as the "fine tune" knob on the Minimoog.

bourniplus

I'm not aware of a pedal that does this, which doesn't mean there isn't one. There must be a way to do it with a plugin/software, so you can at least hear the result.

JanustheManus

There ya go. I am soon to buy an audio interface and so I'm sure there is something like that word n a program.

Thanks bourniplus

pianotuner steveo

I guess it's possible, and I know you are talking about using with a real Rhodes, but if you have any digital keyboards with a decent Rhodes sample ( I.E. Yamaha P series, which aren't too expensive) you can raise and lower the pitch through the keyboard.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

JanustheManus

That's an idea. An outboard effects processor might have this feature as well. I'm going to look into that. Thanks pianotuner steveo!

vintagekey1975

The Digitech IP33B rack version has the Whammy patch.
Mk I Rhodes Stage 73 (1977) With VV Stereovibe
Hammond B3 + Leslie
MK II Farfisa Compact Duo

JanustheManus

Wow. And with an expression pedal I could bend the pitch and hold it there?

vintagekey1975

That is correct sir. Or mount a potentiometer of the same value as the pedal. Hammond Organist Dick Sims (Eric Clapton) used to have the pot from a Wah pedal mounted on the organ so that he could sweep the range and leave it wherever he wanted.
Mk I Rhodes Stage 73 (1977) With VV Stereovibe
Hammond B3 + Leslie
MK II Farfisa Compact Duo

jean-papa

you could also try EHX Ring Thing with an expression pedal.
www.youtube.com/TheMrJeanPapa
www.soundcloud.com/jean-pa

JanustheManus

Yes! I've always wanted a Ring Mod pedal

JanustheManus

I've experimented with the whammy in GB and it was based on a Digitech Whammy! I could buy myself a whammy pedal...

zoooombiex

You might also check out a Boss PS-6 Harmonist

It can do detuning in 5 cent increments (+/- 5-20 cents). It also has a whammy-ish pitch bend mode - I use that with my Rhodes a lot.

JanustheManus