Author Topic: 1976 Rhodes Stage W/Suitcase Preamp and 2x Janus Speakers - Distorted Sound  (Read 666 times)

Offline spacecho

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Hello All,

I recently acquired a 1976 stage 88 with the older 3 knob preamp, and 2x janus tower speakers.
They connect via a 4 pin to 5 pin cable (4 pin end at piano preamp, 5 pin end at the Janus speakers)

When connecting the preamp to the janus in this way, the sound is very very distorted (intermodulation type distortion) and is basically unusable. When connecting the send of the rhodes preamp, to the 1/4" input of the Janus (passive connection) the sound is okay.

Any ideas of where to look?

Cheers

Offline pnoboy

• Mark I
    • View Profile
The Janus preamp has 2 outputs, and therefore 2 output stages, because of the stereo tremolo.  One output appears on pin 3 of the cable, and the other on pin 4.  It may well be that one of these output stages has become defective due to a failed part or bad connection.

Offline spacecho

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Thanks for your reply PnoBoy,

To clarify, i have a Petersen Preamp in the rhodes (older 3 knob one - 4 pin cable, discreet electronics), but the speakers are Janus towers (5 pin cable).
I'll have to check the voltage of the 5 pin cable, as i know the Petersen Preamp needs 24v. Perhaps the later Janus is 15v (as it is OpAmp based?)

Will test with a multimeter and report back,