How much key wiggle is normal and expected?

Started by JonastyPeterson, December 04, 2017, 10:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JonastyPeterson

Hello everybody,

Thanks for letting me join up with your exclusive secret electric piano society.  I won't blow our covers, I can assure you.

I am currently working on my first piano, repairing the effects of sitting idle for several decades and a mouse infestation.

I ordered some stuff from VVibe to hopefully revitalize the action and tone, ie: screws and grommets, bushing felt, bridal straps. 

My question is, as a person who is new to Rhodes and piano in general, how much key wiggle is acceptable?

The key bushing felt seems to be rutted throughout the piano, and I can wiggle each of the keys sideways about 1/16th of an inch or more each direction (give or take).  I want to know whether the labor of refelting the balance pins and twisting the front pins is really warranted, or if what I'm seeing here is par for the course.

Should I considered refelting the front rail bushings too? 

Thanks to any and all that take the time to chime in.

-J

sean

Jon,

If that is your real name....

I can't find the section on mouse removal, but take a good look at the service manual:  http://www.fenderrhodes.com/org/manual/toc.html

It sounds pretty likely that you will be re-felting the key bushings on the front rail.  Search this forum for "key bushing" and you will find a wealth of knowledge.  I am not sure that your balance rail pins need work, but you can probably tell which location is loose.  Not everyone likes the idea of twisting the front pins.  I don't think it is worth it in the short term, nor long term.  Replace the felts, and you will be happiest.   

However, the Rhodes action can perform surprisingly well with all kinds of loosey-goosey slop.  A little sideways play isn't the end of the world.  If it really interferes with your playing or enjoyment, by all means fix it.

Sean

JonastyPeterson

I tried a little pin twisting for fun.  Used a 5mm deep socket.  Turned about 5 pins and reduced the slop in those keys considerably.  It took only a couple seconds per pin so I don't really see the downside here.  If I refelt later I would need to straighten them obviously...am I missing something?  Being a total newb I really don't want to make avoidable mistakes...I've worked on plenty of guitars and learned some hard lessons along the way..lol

I took a video of this btw, but it's MP4 and the forum doesnt list that format as acceptable for upload.

EvanBingham

as little movement as possible without causing any excess friction in the key stroke is where I went with it

sean

Jon,

I think you did the right thing.  You know it has be re-worked when you get around to installing new felts.  You will be fine.

Sean

Ben Bove

+1 - the front rail pins are oval in shape specifically to help with gaps.  In the future when the pins can no longer help with side-to-side movement reduction, that's when you can replace the front bushings.  The balance rail pins however are not oval, so if you see a lot of wiggle side-to-side on those, the felts would need to be replaced.
Retro Rentals
Vintage Music Gear

http://www.retrorentals.net
(818) 806-9606
info@retrorentals.net

FB: https://www.facebook.com/retrorentals.net/
IG: @RetroRentalsNet