Author Topic: Hohner Pianet T volume  (Read 1695 times)

Offline conke

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Hohner Pianet T volume
« on: December 18, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »
I've replaced the sticky pads and adjusted the pickups closer to the reeds. This made a huge difference for the lower half of the keyboard. However, the upper half barely has any bark - only a few random notes do.

Does anyone have any suggestions on improving volume?
Hohner Pianet T
1977 Rhodes Mk I
1966 Wurlitzer 146

Offline mvanmanen

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Hohner Pianet T volume
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 01:01:58 AM »
I love my Pianet T for what it is...

You could try re-magnetizing any particularly quiet reeds. I also have found it useful to experiment with some different amplifiers to find the right match, or even just trying out an EQ pedal, even something simple like one of those MXR 10-band EQ pedals. All that being said, I have found it most useful to adjust the pickups primarily with the aim to get even volume/tone across the keybed (rather than maximum bark) as some tines just seem to bark more than others on my pianet despite all manipulations.

Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s and C
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N and Combo Pianet
Hammond B3

Offline conke

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
Thanks for the pointers! Some of the notes are just stubborn. The simple solution of EQ'ing seems to be the best.
Hohner Pianet T
1977 Rhodes Mk I
1966 Wurlitzer 146

Offline theseacowexists

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 05:18:19 PM »
I've found great results with a 7-band EQ pedal and a compression pedal.  I found this one on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/JOYO-JF-10-Dynamic-Compressor-Guitar/dp/B007T8CUNG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513725307&sr=8-2&keywords=joyo+compressor) - it isn't too expensive, and it really fattens up the sound, increases the overall volume, and helps even out the response of each note - as a good compressor should. 

Offline conke

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 06:02:38 PM »
I'll definitely look into an EQ pedal. I've already got a dyna comp, but I've got enough instruments and amplifiers laying around that I can justify a second compressor.

Update:

1. The keyshaft bender tool from clavinet.com has done me some wonders on bum notes.
2. Pianet T -> compressor -> fully cocked wah -> bass amp
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:41:35 AM by conke »
Hohner Pianet T
1977 Rhodes Mk I
1966 Wurlitzer 146