News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Black wire running along length of pickup rail?

Started by Gescape, January 15, 2018, 09:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gescape

Hello all! This is my first post and it is about that black wire that runs along the length of the pickup rail- what does it do? I have a 1973 Mk1 Stage 73 that doesn't have it, it looks like it may have been removed at one point, yet the piano works normally- there is output that gets to my amplifier. Any thoughts? Thanks!

pnoboy

The wire runs the ground connection of the RCA jack to the treble end of the pickup string, while the left end of the pickup string goes to the output connection of the RCA jack.  The piano shouldn't work without it

pianotuner steveo

I'm really surprised you are getting a signal. Was a different ground wire added and you didn't notice at first?
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

conke

I'm guessing a longer wire with more give was used to replace the original and is dangling between the harp and the back wall.
Hohner Pianet T
1977 Rhodes Mk I
1966 Wurlitzer 146

Gescape

Hello and thanks for the replies. There is in fact a bare wire, looks like picture frame hanging wire, in the back behind the harp RCA output, not quite sure what or where it's attached to, but that could be the answer. I'd post a pic but am at work, away ftom the piano. So at least now  I don't have to worry about the missing black wire.

pnoboy

Usually, that's the wire used to ground the aluminum damper bar.  At the right edge of the harp, where the last pickup is, you should see a wire from the last pickup to something.  Usually, that's the black wire, but in your case it's something else, I guess. 

Jenzz

Hi .-)

The piano will work even without this wire. The wire doubles the connection that is already established by the aluminum tape that connetcs all pickup mounting brackets to ground.

The bare wire is used to connect the damper bar to ground, thus eliminating hum and buzz. If the damper bar is not grounded, capacitive coupling into the damper arms will induct hum and buzz to the pickups. Remember, the damper arms are going under the pickup coils, esp. in the upper ranges.

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

pnoboy

Yes, assuming the tape conductively contacts the frame, which may not always be the case due to corrosion, etc..  Fender supplied a soldered wire to guarantee a solid ground over time.