News:

Don't forget to read the forum rules.

Main Menu

Is that original ?

Started by guizmo, February 02, 2018, 04:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guizmo

Hi,

I recently bought a 200A is decent shape (very very dusty), and I'm achieving the restoration.

3 pics below (legs and music stand are missing) :

There are few issues to fix : a note is buzzing, a reed is dead, finding legs and music stand (if someone here have it please PM me ;) ), I bought on eBay a set of screws, I'll maybe try a retr0bright on keys someday, so the biggest part is done.

But I have some questions :

1) My wurli has two stickers one each side, like in the picture below... Are they original, I can't see pictures on internet showing this stickers on wurlis... Can you give me some informations about that.
The unique thing I found is on VV website because they do reproductions :

https://www.vintagevibe.com/collections/wurlitzer-logos/products/wurlitzer-200-series-name-logo-sticker

2) As you can see on the picture below, the "black line" on the aluminum rail is missing.
Can I buy it ? What is it ? a tape ? a rubber ?

Thank you !!

guizmo

Hello,

My 200a is out ! Preamp is ok, amp is ok, when I inject a sound directly on the reed bar I can hear the sound on wurli's out, but no sound from the reeds...
I checked the resistance between the reed bar and the ground... 0 ! The reed bar is grounded, is that normal ??

Thank you guys !

pianotuner steveo

Your fuses are likely blown, this is common. The small fuses on the amp board.

I think the black line is just tape.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

jam88

I have a picture of Richard Carpenter playing a black Wurlitzer with those smaller stickers on the sides, like yours. That picture was from May 1973, playing at the White House for President Nixon.
I also have another picture where he's playing a black Wurly with the larger sticker on the back, like the one VV sells. That larger sticker can also be seen on the back of Sha Na Na's tan top 200 in the movie 'Woodstock'.
120, 206 Chop, Baldwin, Gulbransen, Nord & Yamaha digitals, Antigua Strat, Selmer Mk VI, 10M Naked Lady, etc...

cinnanon

Quote from: guizmo on February 04, 2018, 04:32:10 AM
I checked the resistance between the reed bar and the ground... 0 ! The reed bar is grounded, is that normal ??

Your multimeter should read "0L" not "0"

You have a short in the reedbar somewhere.  Isolate whether it's left or right then go from there.

Tim Hodges

Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

guizmo

Thank you guys !!

First, the reed bar was grounded, I had a problem with the preamp « reed bar contact »  touching a grounded area, so now it sounds great !

Concerning the black line, I put a black tape that fits perfectly. A friend of mine told me yesterday that is a kind of bumper, is it available in VV or a website like VV ?

Concerning the stickers, it seem to be original, they are at the exact same location, very straight.
Thank you jam88, I'll check the pictures.
On VV website there is written : "This Wurlitzer logo sticker is a reproduction of the original artist endorsement series.  They were exclusive stickers Wurlitzer gave out to their endorsed clients. We have recreated them to the same exact specs."
What are endoresment series ? Sorry, I'm French, I don't really understand the meaning...

Thank you Tim, so you are my seller ^^

Alan Lenhoff

Quote from: jam88 on February 04, 2018, 09:56:58 PM
I have a picture of Richard Carpenter playing a black Wurlitzer with those smaller stickers on the sides, like yours. That picture was from May 1973, playing at the White House for President Nixon.
I also have another picture where he's playing a black Wurly with the larger sticker on the back, like the one VV sells. That larger sticker can also be seen on the back of Sha Na Na's tan top 200 in the movie 'Woodstock'.

You can see that sticker on the side of Richard Carpenter's piano in this video of the White House event that Jam88 mentions, starting at about 3:40:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9reH2TJg4E

Alan
Co-author, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music"

Learn about the book: http://www.classickeysbook.com/
Find it on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1574417762/

1965 UK Vox Continental;1967 Gibson G101 organ; 1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H; 1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73; 1972 Rhodes Sparkletop Piano Bass; 1978 Hohner Clavinet D6; 1968 Hohner Pianet N II; 1966 Wurlitzer 140B; 1980 Moog Minimoog Model D; 1983 Roland JX-3P; 1977 Fender Twin Reverb; 1983 Roland JX-3P synth; Vox AC30CC2X amp.
(See the collection: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )

Tim Hodges

That's very cool. The black strip which is missing is just a bit of textured black tape running around the side, not very thick.

Looks slightly like this:

Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

guizmo

Thank you guys for your replies !

The video is cool ! Now I don't know if I leave them or not.. :o

Ok, so the tape is like a thin tolex... Do you know if I can find a reproduction tape ?

In attachement the tape I put and Tim's screws, thank you Tim !

Tim Hodges

I'd definitely keep the stickers, consider that if it is for an endorsed piano that sets it apart from all the other standard pianos.
It refers to when an artist is  given a piano for free by Wurlitzer to promote their piano, in this case Richard Carpenter was known for playing Wurlitzer's so would be given one for free to then use on stage. The side stickers then help people identify the piano so they can buy one.

Walter Murphy was given a Hohner D6 as an endorsement (which was later stolen.)

Glad the screws turned up so quickly!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

jam88

I agree with Tim Hodges: keep the stickers.

To my knowledge, no one has ever reproduced the smaller side stickers, so even in the absence of any other provenance, suggests that this instrument is kinda special. Is the Wurlitzer logo on the back made of metal, or plastic? What are first three digits of s/n?
120, 206 Chop, Baldwin, Gulbransen, Nord & Yamaha digitals, Antigua Strat, Selmer Mk VI, 10M Naked Lady, etc...

guizmo

Cool guys ! Ok I understand now what's "endorsement"! I'll keep them!

The back logo is made of metal.
SN : 136***L

Inside all seems to be dated from 1979.
I'm really interested if you can tell me more about my piano !

Thank you !

jam88

Good! The Wurlitzer badge is real metal, not one of the plastic reproductions that someone added later. My information is that those metal badges were mounted on the last 200A's, somewhere around s/n 135*** to 153***.

My thought was this: if some owner had 'decorated' the piano with a plastic badge, than maybe they also 'decorated' with the side stickers. Since the badge is 'real', and period-correct to the serial number, then doesn't it seem more likely that the side stickers are factory-applied, too?

(The metallized plastic reproduction badges ARE very nice.)   

guizmo

Yes, that what I thought too ! it's all 'matching numbers", speakers, rail...
The ex-owner told me that he bought the wurlitzer in the 70's as second hand but it was like brand new, and he made 0 modification, he bought it with stickers on it!

guizmo

I put the bottom screws on the wurli, the 2 rubber grommets on top of the lid, but I have a problem for the 2 top screws.
On my wurli the "screw holders" on the harp are missing, I don't know what is exact term in english so I put a picture on attachements...
Do you know where I can buy it ?

Thank you

Tim Hodges

Custom Vintage Keys mill their own but I believe Marcel at EP-Service may have some. I'm in need for one piano I'm working on at the moment.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

guizmo

Thank you !

Marcel don't have it... I'll contact Custom Vintage Keys!
What's the name of that part ?
I never seen those parts for sale... and you ?

pianotuner steveo

Those are just the pieces that the music stand screws into. Not sure what the exact name is for those.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

guizmo

I found how it's named, simply "bolts"..

pianotuner steveo

That's weird, because they are more than just bolts. The have female threads for the music stand and male threads to attach to the reed bar.
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

guizmo

Yes I agree with you, they are more than bolts but technicians I talked to, called them like that. The problem is to name something very special and unique, I cannot name it in French too... or maybe "la piece faisant la jonction entre la harpe et la vis du pupitre..." a bit long ^^

jam88

Elegant bit of value-engineering for Wurlitzer to take a 2 cent bolt, drill and tap the end, and have it serve two functions, supporting the lid and fastening the music rack!

guizmo

Hi guys,

Here's some pictures of my wurlitzer complete with 100% 70's original parts.
The unique thing I'll do this spring is retrobright on keys ! I've seen a post on it, I'll post to have more informations.

Tim Hodges

Looks incredible.

Great work!
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

guizmo

Electrickey

Quote from: jam88 on February 04, 2018, 09:56:58 PM
I have a picture of Richard Carpenter playing a black Wurlitzer with those smaller stickers on the sides,

Yes I've seen the same photo with Richard. Blurred but discernible.

guizmo

Cool pictures !!! It's now official, my stickers are originals !
thank you

Tehu

Got the same stickers, same place on mine!
Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 88 1977, Wurlitzer 200a, Columbia Elepian 713, Yamaha CP60M, Hohner Clavinet D6, Baldwin CW-8-S, Roland VK9, Roland RS101, Roland SH1000, Teisco S100P, Yamaha SK15, Siel Orchestra 1, Sequential Six Ttak, Sequential Prophet 2002, Behringer VC340, Behringer MS101, MPC2000XL, Roland SBF325, Roland RE-201, Roland MPA100, Leslie 710