Author Topic: Rhodes MK1 Restauration Questions  (Read 270 times)

Offline seb rodolphi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Rhodes MK1 Restauration Questions
« on: April 12, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
Hello everybody it's my first post on the forum!
I'm a new owner of rhodes mk1 73 keys of 1977 and i'm gonna do a restauration of it : grommets and screws,miracle mod and new hammers.
I have some questions...Thanks in advance!
I will post the pics to show you the problems.

1: when i tune the tines i got A440 when i play hard but when i play smooth i got something under 440 like 438 or 435.
    do i need to put it a little higher so it will be at 440 smooth and 445 when i play hard? or i let it that way ?

2 : do i need to put beeswax on the screws of the tone bar?i heard that every screws in wood should be waxed is it right?

3 : my dampers are dirty and have a fold where the tines stays.Can i do something for them for the fold and cleaning or do i need to
     change them all?

4 : the pickups doesn't have the thing in plastic on the top of them ,where it's red.the plastic is around the red but they doesn't join
     together on the top.does it matters in any way,does it change the sound or can i leave it that way?

5 : i think i'm gonna have a problem to install the miracle mod.
     the hammer fits well on the 73 th note but on the first note the hammer doesn't fits on the key pedestal it has a small gap
     between the bottom of the hammer and the key pedestal.is there something i can do for it ??bec ause i will have problems for
     marking a straight line between first and last note cause they are not on the same axe of the key pedestal.sorry if it's not clear
     enough my english is bad...

Thanks everybody i will certainly have more questions during my restauration !
Rhodes MK1/Moog Sub Phatty/Philips Philicorda/Electric Organ Magnus/Eko Super Junior A/Korg Sv1/Roland Juno D

Offline seb rodolphi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: Rhodes MK1 Restauration Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:18:02 AM »
Rhodes MK1/Moog Sub Phatty/Philips Philicorda/Electric Organ Magnus/Eko Super Junior A/Korg Sv1/Roland Juno D

Offline seb rodolphi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 08:18:51 AM »

Offline sean

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:52:26 AM »

Seb -

2.  Don't but more beeswax on the tonebar mounting screws.  Clean up all the old wax, and you will be happy.

3.  Your dampers don't look bad.  The dirty damper felts makes it look like some previous owner put oil on the tines.  The small groove in your damper felts is not a big problem.  I would leave them as they are.

4.  The plastic tape around the pickup coils has come off on a few pickups.  It is a pain to replace, and I don't think it is worth the effort.  I personally don't think it matters in any way.  It will not affect the sound of the piano.  Leave it alone.

5.  See https://ep-forum.com/smf/index.php?topic=9778.msg54427#msg54427

Okay, back to #1, the tuning problem...  Don't try to fix this tuning problem until after you have installed new grommets.  I can't believe this problem appears evenly across all 73 notes of the keyboard.  I am guessing that you must be having this problem mostly with the bass notes.  Is that true or not?

If the pickups are set very close to the tines, sometimes the magnet in the pickup interacts strongly with the swing of the tines.  This can affect tuning, and can cause unstable pitch.  Find five notes that you feel have the tuning problem, and try moving the pickups back a bit.  Test to see if the tuning problem is still there.

Also, sometimes the tines themselves, or the tuning spring position, or the grommets and tonebar.  Wait until you have new grommets and keep us updated.

Sean

Offline seb rodolphi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
Thanks a lot !yes its most in the bass notes

Offline seb rodolphi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 10:07:13 AM »
Can somebody tell me the section of the tone bar springs ?
I mean from what note to another the springs are the same ?

For my installation of miracle mod im gonna add some pieces of wood on the key pedestal so the hamm fits well but how can i mark a straight line if the keypedestal change from one side to another ?
Do i need to install it without straight line ?
Thanks !

Offline seb rodolphi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 02:01:24 PM »
I receiveid my parts lets go

Offline seb rodolphi

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 05:41:56 PM »
I install the miracle mod without adding New pieces of wood.
I think i've found an easier way to correct the differences between highest notes and lowest (the hammers didnt fits well on the highest ) :

I Just add 1mm between the keybed and the action rail on the left side.
That corrects the differences. For me it works and i win a lot of time but im not sure it will works on all rhodes with this particular issue...

Offline Tim Hodges

• Vendor
  • Mark II
  • Tim
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 05:47:31 AM »
I install the miracle mod without adding New pieces of wood.
I think i've found an easier way to correct the differences between highest notes and lowest (the hammers didnt fits well on the highest ) :

I Just add 1mm between the keybed and the action rail on the left side.
That corrects the differences. For me it works and i win a lot of time but im not sure it will works on all rhodes with this particular issue...

This is what I would do, there will be some space to work with in adjusting the action rail position without needing to add blocks of wood to the keys to extend the pedestals.
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com