Repairs, Maintenance & Upgrades > Preamps, Modifications & Upgrades

Noise Suppressor for your Rhodes?

(1/2) > >>

d-rock:
I play my '75 MKI Rhodes through a couple effects...Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Small Stone, etc. for that kind of goodness.

Since the Rhodes is quiet and pretty dark naturally, I also use a Tech21 Liverpool as a preamp to bring the signal up and introduce some top end sparkle. The only problem is when I boost the signal I get hiss.

Does anyone run a Noise Suppressor with your other effects to quiet your Rhodes?

pnoboy:

--- Quote from: d-rock on April 23, 2018, 10:33:09 AM ---I play my '75 MKI Rhodes through a couple effects...Boss TR-2 Tremolo, Small Stone, etc. for that kind of goodness.

Since the Rhodes is quiet and pretty dark naturally, I also use a Tech21 Liverpool as a preamp to bring the signal up and introduce some top end sparkle. The only problem is when I boost the signal I get hiss.

Does anyone run a Noise Suppressor with your other effects to quiet your Rhodes?

--- End quote ---

I wonder if the problem is the Tech21 preamp.  I run my Rhodes with plenty of high end and don't get hiss.  BTW, I assume you run the signal through the Tech21 before the other pedals?

d-rock:
Yes, I run the T21 first. I don't seem to get that much hiss when played with guitar. I am not boosting the signal nearly as much though.

The Real MC:
The pickups on the rhodes are very sensitive to the input impedance of a processor or direct interface or amp.  With the wrong input impedance, they can produce more noise.  The better solution is a DI with input impedance of 1Mohm or higher.

pnoboy:
OTOH, the Peterson, Janus, stage, and late Mark II pianos all had input impedances way below 1 Meg, and I don't recall them being noisy.  That's certainly true for the stage piano.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version