News:

Follow us on Twitter for important announcements and outage notices.

Main Menu

My New Wurlitzer Website

Started by DocWurly, June 19, 2018, 02:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocWurly

Hi all.  I hope it is not inappropriate to toot my horn here.

I have launched a new website:

https://www.docwurly.com

It has the Wurlitzer content that was on my old website, but gradually I am uploading blog pages on every Wurlitzer Electric Piano every produced.  Plus, fun vintage ads and other esoterica.  I would love any photos or scans from YOU that can make the site even better.

I repair and tune Wurlitzer Electric Pianos in the greater NYC area.  I make house calls.

An apology:  In my haste to get as much of a resource going as possible, I have sometimes uploaded random Wurly photos from my collection.  Sometimes (often?) I have lost track of my older sources, or my contact info for those sources.  Some of those sources might be YOU or your ebay auctions, from a time before I thought I might be creating a reference site.  So DO NOT HESITATE to call me so that I can either take uncleared material off a page, or (I'd prefer) credit my sources.  While the site functions as my shingle, I also hope it will be a useful resource and reference for all.  I am also always open for corrections to the data I am putting up there.  Assembling these pages has been a Herculean effort, and at times I had to leave some i's undotted and t's uncrossed just to get _something_ up, imperfectly.  Again, Mea Culpas on this.

pianotuner steveo

That's a great page! I read most of the way through the list, will continue later.
I could be wrong, but I honestly do not think that the song "Pushing too Hard" by the Seeds is a 140. I think that sounds more like a 112 or 120 to me. The sound of the solid state amp in a 140 is different.

Great job!
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

DocWurly

I'm glad you mentioned that, Steveo.  I've recently come to believe you are right.  "Pushing to Hard" is a very early Wurly, a 112 at the latest.

jam88

I agree with you guys, for nearly fifty years I assumed that it was a 120 on 'I Can't Seem to Make You Mine' and 'Pushin' Too Hard'. But thru the wonders of the internet, we see Daryl Hooper with a Wurly with the 140-type case, as you note.

Does a 145 with a tube amp sound more like a 120?

Jason M

120, 206 Chop, Baldwin, Gulbransen, Nord & Yamaha digitals, Antigua Strat, Selmer Mk VI, 10M Naked Lady, etc...

DocWurly

Well, we are presuming that the Wurly he played live is the one on the recordings, which may or may not be true.  I don't know too many of the recordings.

If there is tremolo, it's more likely to be a 140 (although that was also a feature of the model 920 external amplifier that was matched with the 120.

Remember that the 140 and 145 (but not the 140A and 145A) used the same reeds as the 120 except for the bass register.  This could account for a similar sound.  I am working on a 140 now, with original reeds, so I will have better data soon.

Electrickey

Congrats! I was born overlooking Prospect Park.