Author Topic: Harp suddenly not working... :(  (Read 407 times)

Offline JanustheManus

• Mark I
  • 1977 Mark 1 Stage w/ Stereo Vibe
    • View Profile
Harp suddenly not working... :(
« on: July 09, 2018, 08:34:28 PM »
Hello all on the forum!
I hate to bother you for such a small problem (I think) but my harp suddenly went silent. I ruled out the preamp, and I plugged in an RCA-1/4 adapter directly into the harp but no audible sound (except for some pickup clicking). I saw no visible breaks in the natural way the pickups were wired.
I think the problem exists because I was replacing escapement screw grommets; so that might have fouled up the pickups...
Is there a good way to remedy this? I'll be more careful (promise!)

Thanks

Patrick
Why didn't Fender Rhodes stick with the lovely reflective Sparkle Top rail?

Offline 4kinga

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Re: Harp suddenly not working... :(
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 08:21:36 AM »
I had this happen when a few pickup coils opened up near the end/beginning of a series.  I used an alligator clip jumper to locate the break and replaced those pickups from there.  (Actually, it was at a gig.  I left the jumper on to make it through and replaced them later.)

Offline JanustheManus

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 12:27:27 PM »
 Whew that's rough! So the pickups themselves unwound? I'll try some alligator clips, and then some eventual but near pickup replacement...

Thanks!

Offline JanustheManus

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 01:03:36 PM »
BTW how would you use an alligator clip to test for a break? I have some but don't know how to use them yet.

Offline 4kinga

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 02:46:00 PM »
The lead wire (on the first wrap, not the last unfortunately!) closest to the mounting screw corrodes and eventually breaks. It can be hard to see sometimes. 
For testing, I just clipped a lead onto the treble end, played a chord in the middle and started working the other end down the pickups at random intervals until I heard sound.  Then I worked my way backup each pickup from there until I found the open pickups.  Not so scientific, but I found them!

Offline JanustheManus

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:40:12 PM »
Thank you so much! I did however pack my Rhodes away in a corner now to take it to Vintage Keyboard Repair in SF (the guy is really good). I appreciate the wealth of your knowledge! But I will just leave Rhodes work to the guys who know what they're doing... (I'll do the playing!)