Author Topic: Cembalet Static Discharge and Shielding  (Read 118 times)

Offline theseacowexists

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Cembalet Static Discharge and Shielding
« on: August 01, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
For all six or seven Cembalet owners out there...

I've noticed that my Cembalet produces that annoying static discharge "click" that also plagues the electrostatic Pianets fitted with silicone sticky pads.  It used to be that if I did a gliss of the full keyboard every so often, it would get rid of the clicks while I was playing.  But it was getting to the point where this didn't really help anymore, and my playing was continually accompanied by those annoying clicks.

I already had the keyshafts grounded with copper tape a la Pianet, and while this does reduce the overall noise, it did not eliminate the clicking.  The solution?  The copper brackets which hold the foam (or in my case, felt) dampers need to be grounded as well.  To do this, I simply ran another piece of copper tape along the brackets, and connected it to the shielding of the case.  Problem solved!  Make sure you leave enough tape between each copper bracket, otherwise activating one key might activate it's neighbor as well. 

I want to mention that I did this in preparation for recording samples of the Cembalet with my engineer buddy.  My goal at the moment is to get samples for my Nord so the Cembalet doesn't have to leave the house for gigs.  If there's any interest, I'd be happy to share the samples!

Offline OZDOC

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Cembalet Static Discharge and Shielding
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:57:08 PM »
The static issue with silicone pads substituted for the original leather and urethane Pianet pads is caused by tribocharging - an electrical charge induced by peeling the silicone off the metal reed when a note is played.
I'm guessing that substituting felt dampers for the original urethane foam is also a charge issue - but in this case the felt may have changed the insulation characteristics compared to the original damper material.
Sometimes the original manufacturer actually knew what they were doing and the replica parts are the problem:-)
I have yet to restore my Cembalet but I'll now be watching out for this issue.