News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Replacing black (vinyl?) strip on the 200A lid

Started by seanny_keys, September 11, 2018, 07:36:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanny_keys

Hi everyone,

I have been working on restoring a road-worn 200A for a few months now and it has been a blast. I have the keyboard looking pretty good except for a few holes and gaps in black vinyl strip that goes around the perimeter on the metal portion of the lid (see photo attached that I pulled from the web). 

Does anyone know where I can buy replacement material for this? I have not seen it on Vintage Vibe or other vintage EP resources.

Thanks in advance,
-Sean

Tim Hodges

Closest thing I can think of is a textured adhesive black vinyl film. Can't vouch for the thickness of this item though:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-adhesive-PVC-Leather-Black-Vinyl-Tape-Car-Wrap-Film-Sticker-Bubble-Free/192582160530?hash=item2cd6ca9092:m:mWeO-cO9nVqHlU8C6iCgenw
Bristol Electric Piano
UK

Facebook
YouTube
Reverb.com

seanny_keys

Excellent, this looks like it should do the trick.

Thank you!

sean

You need almost ten feet of 1/4" black tape.

3M 1350F polyester electrical tape would work, and the 1/4" width shows up on Amazon.
Looks like 3M 471 tape comes in 1/4" widths too.

Graphic artists use 1/4" tape, so you can get it at art stores.  Staples sells it.

If you really want the textured tape then you might have to search harder.  I guess you could try to slit the 1/4" strip from a larger piece of vinyl or tolex, but that seems like a difficult job.  If you have a local upholstery store, they might have a suitable textured material, and may be able to cut it more accurately than you can at home. 

Sean

seanny_keys

Hey Sean,

Thanks for the insight, I ordered some1/4" textured graphic tape on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CCNTMW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll check back in once it arrives and I apply it to my wurli for anyone who may view this in the future.