Author Topic: Moving CP-70 in the cold  (Read 160 times)

Offline EauClaireGuy

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Moving CP-70 in the cold
« on: November 01, 2018, 11:08:27 AM »
I am doing a gig with my CP-70 soon and I was wondering if moving it outside in the cold for a few minutes would have a detrimental effect on the tuning of it. I have seen the way that the cold destroys tunings on other stringed instruments so i just wondered if 5 minutes in the cold would wreck everything. Thanks

Offline bourniplus

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Re: Moving CP-70 in the cold
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »
There's "cold" and there's "cold"...
I guess it would depend on the particular circumstances. If you can put thick blankets all around that will surely help.
Would it "destroy" the tuning? IMHO, no, but that's just me.
Mark I - Mark V
Clavinet model C
My electric square piano prototype

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Moving CP-70 in the cold
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
They are not affected quite as drastically as an acoustic piano because they don’t have a soundboard. You may experience some notes drifting a little, but that can’t be avoided. Every CP-70 owner should learn the basics of piano tuning and get a tool and a couple of mutes. Tuning the entire piano is a whole other issue, but touching up a few notes is not that hard. You just have to be very sure you are tuning the string you want to tune and not one next to it to cut down on accidental string breakage. You especially don’t want to break a bass string.

Note to all CP-70 users, if you ever break a bass string, do not throw the string out. A piano tuner may be able to splice it. If not, they NEED the old string to send to a factory to duplicate it.
Also, avoid touching copper strings with your bare hands. Perspiration and skin oil can ruin the tone.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...