Author Topic: noisy tine problem  (Read 107 times)

Offline Tonie29

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
noisy tine problem
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:55:17 AM »
Hi Everybody.

Recently got my Rhodes, and its sounding wonderful, except there seem to be a problem with the tine on C (octave above middle C)
The tine makes a ringing/rattling noise when struck by the hammer. The sound is only heard acoustically, meaning when monitoring with headphones the pickup doesn't 'pick up' the noise. It's really annoying though, since i normally play the rhodes through an amp. i've checked the pickup-tine relationship, and the tine does not hit the pickup. It's also the only tine making this sort of noise. How can i remidy it?

I've linked a short video showing the issue:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjj4uaXEGAc&feature=youtu.be

Thanks in advance
Rhodes MKI 73, 1973
Moog Sub 37
Fender Twin Reverb

Offline LowreyT1

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Re: noisy tine problem
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:46:39 AM »
Seems somethings out of place.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 08:50:08 AM by LowreyT1 »

Offline sean

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »

It doesn't look like the tone bar might be kissing the neighboring tonebars, but... maybe that is the problem.

Check also that the tonebar mounting screws are not loose enough that one of the washers is buzzing against the screw.
Check also that there is enough force pushing down on the mounting springs that they are not able to rattle.

Less likely ideas:
If the grommets were really rotten, the mounting screw can actually contact the tone bar.

I don't think the tine is swinging up and hitting the end of the pickup, but it does happen.  Back the pickup off the tine, and see if the buzz goes away.  This ususally makes a much more offensive noise.

Make sure that the screw holding the tine block is tight.  Make sure the tine is securely mounted in the tine block.

Sean

Offline pianotuner steveo

• MIDI Mark V
  • A keyboard player in love with vintage guitars!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
Try swapping that tine/tone bar with one neighbor and see if the problem stays on the same key or switches with the tine. Don’t alter the tuning, just swap and test. I’m betting it switches with the tine, which could indicate a problem with the tine itself.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 200A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2000 Yamaha acoustic piano
2004 Hammond XK3
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
....and a few guitars...