Please help me identify the cause of this sound? Rhodes Mk1 73

Started by SE_RHODES, December 13, 2018, 04:59:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SE_RHODES

Whats up everyone

I recently bought a 1978 MK1 73 Stage recently. Overall, it's great, but the note of D2 sounds really weird in comparison to the rest of the piano. The note is muddier and fuzzy sounding compared to the rest and also has an overtone much louder than the rest. As you'll hear by the chords at the end, its nothing to do with the way I'm recording cause it sounds great all over besides that note.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DkyB30EaTYy0jFN_B1hZ-yqXuJz_uaZT/view?usp=sharing

Any suggestions as to what it could be would be great, and if its something you could explain how I'd fix it, it would save me driving a couple of hours to my tech.

Cheers

Buster

Jenzz

Hi .-)

Sounds to me that this note / tine is missing its tuning spring...?

Jenzz
Rhodes tech in Germany
www.tasteundtechnik.de
www.spontaneousstorytelling.net

VintageVibe 64 ACL + DOD FX25B, Tone City Sweet Cream, EHX SmallStone, Mooer e-Lady

Adams Solist 3.1 Vibraphone

In the Past:
Stage 73 Mk1 (1977)
Stage 88 Mk1 (1975)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1980)
Stage 73 Mk2 (1981 - plastic)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1973)
Suitcase 73 Mk1 (1978)

Tim W

To me it sounds like it is voiced improperly- it is pure overtone, no fundamental.  The tip of the tine is too low in relation to the pickup.

If the note is in tune with the note an octave above it (or very very close) then it is not the spring.

Pop the lid, find the offending note/tine and then back off on the voicing screw (the phillips head furthest from you) that holds the tonebar in place (there are 2 screws) until you get it sounding like the neighboring notes.

If it hits the pickup, loosen the pickup and slide it back a tiny bit.  Again, compare to neighboring notes and adjust until it is even with those.

Good luck!

guizmo

Hi, I'm agree with the two posts above! to me it sounds like it has a bad voicing and a bad tuning.

SE_RHODES

Quote from: guizmo on December 14, 2018, 04:25:48 PM
Hi, I'm agree with the two posts above! to me it sounds like it has a bad voicing and a bad tuning.
Quote from: Tim W on December 14, 2018, 02:38:54 PM
To me it sounds like it is voiced improperly- it is pure overtone, no fundamental.  The tip of the tine is too low in relation to the pickup.

If the note is in tune with the note an octave above it (or very very close) then it is not the spring.

Pop the lid, find the offending note/tine and then back off on the voicing screw (the phillips head furthest from you) that holds the tonebar in place (there are 2 screws) until you get it sounding like the neighboring notes.

If it hits the pickup, loosen the pickup and slide it back a tiny bit.  Again, compare to neighboring notes and adjust until it is even with those.

Good luck!
Quote from: Jenzz on December 14, 2018, 05:41:35 AM
Hi .-)

Sounds to me that this note / tine is missing its tuning spring...?

Jenzz

Thanks guys, I'll have a look tomorrow morning. It definitely has the tuning spring but I will experiment with adjusting the voicing.

I'll let you know how I get on