News:

Available now!.. "Down the Rhodes: The Fender Rhodes Story" (book & documentary) More...

Main Menu

Pedal problems

Started by teddyparnell, December 20, 2005, 06:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddyparnell

Hello,
I have recently purchased a rhodes 54, without the pedal, as it was missing, I have looked at the action and it seems stiff, the pedal bit at the back has to go up a long way to release the bass note dampers and it has trouble coming back down automatically.  There is a piece of the casing sticking out in the centre at the back, looks like something that used to be there broken off or something.  Wondered if there's any suggestions as to why it's like this and how i can fix it so that i can use a pedal.
Cheers Ise

dnarkosis

Your post is a little unclear.

>>have recently purchased a rhodes 54, without the pedal, as it was missing,

Easy enough to purchase one online, but I'm assuming this is not your question.

>> have looked at the action and it seems stiff, the pedal bit at the back has to go up a long way to release the bass note dampers and it has trouble coming back down automatically.

This seems like two questions:
(1) stiff action - download the service manual and tech notes from the Super Site and read up on adjusting the action. It may not tell you exactly what's wrong, but you'll have a better idea where the problem may lie and can then describe it better (or even fix it).

(2) I'm unsure what you mean by "pedal bit" - do you mean "pedal rod"? It sounds like your damper release bar is not coming into contact with your bass-note damper modules (or individual damper arms) soon enough. That is a damper adjustment problem - the tech notes cover that.

>>There is a piece of the casing sticking out in the centre at the back, looks like something that used to be there broken off or something. Wondered if there's any suggestions as to why it's like this and how i can fix it so that i can use a pedal

I'm unsure where something is "sticking out" - do you mean from the damper-rod hole on the back underside of the piano? I'm also unsure what "casing" is. In any event, if you cannot figure out what it is and cannot remove it from the outside, remove your harp cover, your harp screws, tilt up the harp, and see if you can see it from there. You may also have to remove the damper release bar to examine the damper-rod dowel sitting in the damper-rod hold on the back bottom of the piano.

Anyway, this should get you started. Be sure to examine the service manual illustrations as well - that may give you a better sense for what you are dealing with.
1979 Suitcase 73
1980 Stage 54

teddyparnell

All fixed, the damper release bar had simply popped out on one side, a matter loosening and pulling the harp up and popping it back in.
cheers neways