Solutions for a squeaky pedal?

Started by JanustheManus, January 01, 2019, 01:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JanustheManus

Happy New Year all on the forum!

My friend has owned a 1975 73 suitcase for about 9 months now. It's been basically untouched since 1975 with the lack of a bump mod, all original workings, et cetera. Ever since he has owned it (and who knows for how long) there's been a squeak emanating from the player's side of the sustain pedal. My question to you all is: is this a simple fix with some lubricant, or would this require a professional's attention? The problem isn't dire, just really obnoxious to the both of us.

Thanks!

Patrick
Why didn't Fender Rhodes stick with the lovely reflective Sparkle Top rail?

pianotuner steveo

You have to really search to find the exact point where it is squeaking. Lube like WD-40 will only be a temporary fix.  It's usually at a pivot point, which would require a grease more than an oil. Check where the pedal attaches inside its housing, or it could be the long aluminum bar inside the piano (at the ends) that the pedal rod pushes. Sometimes it's where the rod touches the aluminum rail, which would call for a thick piece of felt, but that will eventually wear away. Acoustic pianos use a thick piece of leather in similar spots, but leather too wears eventually.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

JanustheManus

Thank you for your reply pianotuner steveo! Yes we will locate the source of the squeak and the rest. The sound seems to originate from the lower end of the pedal mechanism, so that would rule out the aluminum damper bar inside of the piano. When I'm next over there, we'll take a look. I'll look into greases if we can't fix the problem there.

Thanks!

Patrick

pianotuner steveo

It could be where the rod touches the pedal too....
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

JanustheManus