Author Topic: Quick advice re: clavinet "springback" second-note issue  (Read 228 times)

Offline zphillips

• Pre-Piano
    • View Profile
Quick advice re: clavinet "springback" second-note issue
« on: January 08, 2019, 01:55:53 AM »
Hi!

My E7 is in great shape other than this super annoying problem that has made it impossible for me to enjoy playing for some time.

Any advice on how to fix this myself? I am not terrible with these things but have no specific knowledge of the Clavinet architecture and don't want to take it apart incorrectly. Is there any danger of that? I'm also not sure what the likely culprit is and don't want to mess around with a good thing since it's in 99% excellent shape.

I've taken a video of the issue that should explain what I'm dealing with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByhnUeNPUOY

Thanks so much!
Zach

Offline 4kinga

• Sparkletop
    • View Profile
Re: Quick advice re: clavinet "springback" second-note issue
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 06:58:31 AM »
Sounds to me like the hammer tips need to be replaced.

Search VV, Clavinet.com, etc. (I'm not affiliated with anyone)

Not too difficult to replace.  Cleaning can be a mess if they're really gummy and deteriorated, though.

Offline mvanmanen

• Mark I
    • View Profile
Re: Quick advice re: clavinet "springback" second-note issue
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:55:19 PM »
Replacing hammer tips is something that just needs to be done as they get grooved, harden, worn, etc. from use and time. Thankfully there are lots of people who sell them (Vintage vibe, Ken Rich, Retrolinear, etc.) as mentioned. I am pretty sure that the ones offered by Ken Rich and Retrolinear are the same. I have had great experience with them, and those offered by Vintage Vibe.

Here is a video showing the process: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2JywMJxVAo

Fresh hammer tips is probably the best money and time I have ever spent on making my clavinets sound awesome!
Wurlitzer 200a
Wurlitzer 145
Fender Rhodes, now including a Celeste (1966, 1971, 1975)
Hohner Clavinet Pianet Duo
Hohner Clavinet D6s
Hohner Pianet T
Hohner Pianet N
Hammond B3