Author Topic: Custom Paint Job on Harp Cover  (Read 277 times)

Offline armstrongsound

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
Custom Paint Job on Harp Cover
« on: February 05, 2019, 01:23:41 PM »
Hey Rhodes-Land.

I recently started playing in a soul-revival/blues band here in Texas and found out that the Drummer owns a body paint shop. Naturally I asked him if he'd ever done any instruments before and then proceeded to see what he would charge to do my harp cover.

Well, needless to say, he had all the paint already in the shop from a previous project so he didn't charge me anything but a case of beer.

Pretty stoked on how it came out!
1970 Fender Rhodes Mk I Seventy-Three Suitcase (no suitcase amp)
1968 Fender Vibrolux (aa864 circuit)
1947 Hammond CV
1947 Hammond DR-20
1970s Leslie 760
1969 Hammond T202
1956 Hammond S6
1982 Kustom 88
90s Young Chang Upright
Hohner Melodica

Offline sean

• Mark II
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Paint Job on Harp Cover
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »

Looks awesome.

Next step might be snakeskin burgundy Tolex.  https://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/Python-snakeskin-pattern-tolex-in-burgundy-p/tpbu35.htm
or http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/Wine-Taurus-leather-look-tolex-p/ttbu37.htm

Then all you need is a replacement E and L, so that you can restore the "Eleventy Three" logo on the front.

Sean

Offline armstrongsound

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 02:29:53 PM »
Sean,
That snakeskin tolex would really take this piano to "the next level" lol.

Actually the stock tolex on the piano right now is in surprisingly good shape! I might consider going with a tolex job after this year's gigging season, we'll see! Although, personally, I would go with a more "conservative" design, (flat colors for sure! LOL)

Also concerning the logo-

When I first got the piano I named it "Eve" upon seeing the missing "S" from the logo. She's become my favorite instrument so the logo's gonna stay for the time being!

Although if you could find me a badge that actually says "Eleventy-Seven" I would replace it in a heart-beat!
1947 Hammond CV
1947 Hammond DR-20
1970s Leslie 760
1969 Hammond T202
1956 Hammond S6
1982 Kustom 88
90s Young Chang Upright
Hohner Melodica

Offline armstrongsound

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 02:30:46 PM »
p.s. When I first replied, I had only looked at the first link to the snakeskin.

I actually really LOVE the tolex in the second link you provided.
1947 Hammond CV
1947 Hammond DR-20
1970s Leslie 760
1969 Hammond T202
1956 Hammond S6
1982 Kustom 88
90s Young Chang Upright
Hohner Melodica

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 06:17:32 PM »
Great color.  A complimentary tolex would really set it off.  You might have to get a cab to match as well!

It is a little wavy... I know when I had mine painted, the painter griped about all the work needed to get a smooth look, with moderate success.

Was your top wavy from the factory, (some were) or was it just gouged from years of use?

Ray

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 06:28:23 PM »

Next step might be snakeskin burgundy Tolex.  https://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/Python-snakeskin-pattern-tolex-in-burgundy-p/tpbu35.htm
or http://www.speakerbuildersupply.com/Wine-Taurus-leather-look-tolex-p/ttbu37.htm

Never been too crazy about snakeskin.  Probably because I've only ever seen it on an amps or pianos that showed years of use and abuse.  Tattered snakeskin, compared to tattered black tolex, always seems more... well, "tattered" and trashed.  It just reminds me of regrettable car mods in the hotrod world.

Were it me, I'd go for the leather look or solid color, but darker than your burgundy top, so it pops that much more.  The harp cover provides a great opportunity for some level of contrast.   Even something in a light tan/brown family would be nice with that burgundy. 

Check out the Cabernet Bronco in this link.
https://www.stagecraftgear.com/tolex-2/

I don't know if their prices are good, but it's nice looking tolex.

But you're not me, thank goodness.  So, I look forward to seeing your evolving piano.

Ray
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:35:22 PM by Student Rhodes »

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 06:31:43 PM »
One more thing, here's a tip...
You may want to consider putting some thin, adhesive-backed felt behind your name rail, along the edges.  It will help keep your rail from scraping off the paint you've put on your harp cover.  I learned the hard way.
Best,
Ray
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:38:51 PM by Student Rhodes »

Offline armstrongsound

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 01:13:22 PM »
Ray,
I appreciate it! I was really floored when I first saw it. I've only owned my piano for a few years myself, and as much as I love to go out and ogle at vintage instruments in shops and at gigs, I just don't run into other Rhodes Pianos in the wild very often. So this is the first time I've ever really seen a custom color harp cover IN PERSON.

As far as the waviness- I'm sure it's just from years of use. Plenty of gig-scars across the top.

Concerning the tolex- I'm definitely on the same boat as you concerning snakeskin. Personally not a fan, though I have seen some snakeskin builds on the internet that are pretty fantastic. I'm not sure what I'll end up doing, but the black tolex on there right now is in pretty good shape so I think I'll probably leave her alone for now.

Ever since I got the piano I have been in search for the elusive "suitcase cab, but no piano" for sale. It doesn't help that the suitcase piano went through several iterations itself, narrowing down possible candidates to only a 4-pin model. I was " " THIS close to actually picking one up this past weekend, someone on Craigslist was selling a Piano with the Suitcase cab. It turns out that the Piano was actually a stage piano and he had been using the cab as a glorified stand and sustain pedal!

By the time I had gotten a hold of him and talked to him about it, some gentleman from Marfa had a guy come take a look at it and bought it outright. Apparently, though, the guy had some means to test the cab and they got some nasty buzzing as soon as they turned it on. He still wanted it though, and unfortunately for me my search continues.

And thanks for that last tip, Ray. I actually had been planning on doing exactly that at our next rehearsal (she lives at the practice space for the time being, as we are rehearsing every week in San Antonio, a 50 minute drive from me)

Quick question, as I was mounting the harp cover into the Piano, and being a little more conscious of scratching and peeling this time around, I did notice two metal clips just on the inside of the name rail. Is the lip of the cover supposed to nestle into these clips or something?

Patrick
1947 Hammond CV
1947 Hammond DR-20
1970s Leslie 760
1969 Hammond T202
1956 Hammond S6
1982 Kustom 88
90s Young Chang Upright
Hohner Melodica

Offline Student Rhodes

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
Patrick,
Yes, I think those clips were used until about 1972(?) to grasp the harp cover.  Some pianos need them, as the covers can warp and show a gap behind the rail. They can cause a bit of a struggle when replacing the cover.  As seen by later Rhodes, often the clips not needed, but I think they're cool to have if the piano came with them. 

Needless to say, the clips should only come in contact with the inside (unpainted?) region of the cover.  Since they increase the pressure and friction on the harp cover, you'll be even better served by putting some felt on the back of the rail where there's contact.

Does your name rail have wood on the base as well?

Ray

Offline alenhoff

• Mark I
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:11:36 PM »
Ever since I got the piano I have been in search for the elusive "suitcase cab, but no piano" for sale. It doesn't help that the suitcase piano went through several iterations itself, narrowing down possible candidates to only a 4-pin model.

Check this out:  https://www.musicgoround.com/product/40081-S000086632/used-fender-fender-rhodes-amplifier-keyboard-amps  An early '70s cab.  The listing says local pickup only in Duluth MN, but these Music Go Round stores generally will ship.

Alan
1974 Rhodes Mark I Stage 73
1972 Rhodes Silver Sparkletop Piano Bass
1978 Hohner Clavinet D6
1968 Hohner Pianet N II
1966 Wurlitzer 140B
1967 Gibson G101 combo organ
1965 UK Vox Continental
1954 Hammond B2; Leslie 21H; Leslie 31H
1977 Fender Twin Reverb
Vox AC30CC2X amp
(SEE THE COLLECTION: https://vintagerockkeyboards.com/ )

Offline armstrongsound

• Fiesta Red
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
Ray,
Okay, I figured that it must be that. As far as there being wood at the base of the name rail, I'm not sure! Rehearsal is tomorrow so I'll definitely take a peek once I get there. I know it is a 1970 model, at least that's what I could ascertain from the date code.

Alan,
I followed your link, but unfortunately it looks like (although there are pictures) the listing is "no longer available".

Also interesting- looking at these pictures from the listing, the "piano input" is a regular 1/4" input (as opposed to the proprietary 4-pin or 5-pin DIN input it should be). Which made me think maybe this was a master speaker or something for the satellite system? (which if I'm being honest, I know nothing about.) But then I saw what looks like a sustain mechanism at the base of the cabinet. Strange!

Patrick
1947 Hammond CV
1947 Hammond DR-20
1970s Leslie 760
1969 Hammond T202
1956 Hammond S6
1982 Kustom 88
90s Young Chang Upright
Hohner Melodica