News:

Shipping now! "Classic Keys" book, a celebration of vintage keyboards  More...

Main Menu

MK 1 Light Action vs Heavy Action?

Started by Dr. Monster, September 18, 2019, 02:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Monster

I've read that MK 1 keyboards often have a very heavy action. My 1979 MK 1 is actually extremely light, and I'd like to make it heavier. Is this possible?

sean

Yes.  Sell the good one you have, and buy a Rhodes that has a more sluggish action.

Yes.  Pour beer on it.

Yes.  Muck around with the action rail until you realize that you liked it the way it was before, and you can never get it back.

Okay, if I had to make the action worse...  if you bend the dampers so that there is more tension on the bridle straps at rest, then the action will be a bit more heavy.  I would personally NEVER try this.

I don't think key weights would provide the action you desire, but you could try lead key weights on the back of the keys.

Sean

Okay - Does anybody have any serious answers for this question? 

groovemonkey73

Haha, your reply made me giggle sean.

I've got a 79 Mk1 and I love its light action compared to earlier ones (without the key pedestal bumps) because the early ones are slower/heavier and more sluggish.

I did a bump mod for a friend on his 77, and even after that I still preferred my 79.

I've no idea how to purposefully make it heavier other than what sean has already suggested, but if you are after that, perhaps a 75-77 Mk1 with or without the bump mod would give you a heavier action?
1979 Mk1 Rhodes 73
1964 Hohner Pianet CH
Nord Stage 2 Compact
Hammond XK3c
1915 John Broadwood & Sons Upright

thetrufflehog

Play an unweighted synth for a few months?
Obviously action is a preference thing, having had a heavy 74 that recently had the bump mod, I'd never want to go back. But you could try to get an older piano.
1974 Stage 73
Korg Arp Odyssey
Nord Electro 3
Mason and Hamlin Model 50 Upright
Motion Sound KP200S
Kustom Coupe 36
(Rhodes) Behringer C9 Comp > EHX Soul Food > MXR Univibe Kokko Space Reverb > Speakeasy Vintage Stereo Vibrato Preamp
(ARP) Donner Yellow Fall Delay

pianotuner steveo

I believe they improved the action (key pedestal) around 1978. Trust me, I have owned 3 early '70's and 1 later model. I would never want the older,sluggish action again personally.

The beer joke is actually pretty close to what the early action feels like- a piano that has been exposed to too much humidity.
1960 Wurlitzer model 700 EP
1968 Gibson G101 Combo organ
1975 Rhodes Piano Bass
1979 Wurlitzer 206A EP
1980 Wurlitzer 270 Butterfly Grand
2009 73A Rhodes Mark 7
2009 Korg SV-1 73
2017 Yamaha P255
2020 Kawai CA99
....and a few guitars...

groovemonkey73

I think it was around 78 they did start putting the factory bumps in, my 79 has them.
1979 Mk1 Rhodes 73
1964 Hohner Pianet CH
Nord Stage 2 Compact
Hammond XK3c
1915 John Broadwood & Sons Upright

Tonewheel

I did the bump mod on mine and I am very happy with it, but when I go from my old Wurly to the Rhodes, it's kind of like taking a shower with your socks on, or running from a monster in a dream, your feet stuck in deep mud. Even after the mod.

But removing the mod bumps would be like having the power steering quit on my  truck. Or using a hand pump to put air in my car tires. Or mowing our lawn with scissors instead of the JD997.

If you actually do a retrofit, let us know how it went.  :)

1955 B3, Leslie 21H and 147. Hammond 100 with weird Leslie 205. 1976 Rhodes. Wurlitzer 200A. Yamaha DX7/TX7. Korg M1. Yamaha C3 grand, 67 Tele blond neck, Les Paul Standard, PRS 24, Gibson classical electric, Breedlove acoustic electric, Strat, P Bass, Rogers drum kit, Roland TD 12 digital drums, Apollo quad, older blackfaced Fender Twin, other amps, mics and bits and pieces cluttering up the "studio."

pnoboy

I'll have to disagree with many of the posters in this thread.  The early 70s pianos, before the bump mod, had a heavier action much like that of an acoustic piano.  Given that I play both, I liked the heavier action.  BTW, I never found it sluggish.  Perhaps the sluggishness other poster refer to has to do with lack of lubrication, worn felt, keys that need easing, or some other issue that can be addressed with proper maintenance and adjustment.

Owen K

Hey Dr. M,

I've been working on an early 70's Mk1 (no bump mod). The other night I shimmed the action rail in an attempt to increase key depth. It worked, but also seemed to lighten the action significantly. Is it possible that your piano has been shimmed under the action rail?